Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Maintenance support upon adoption

Maintenance support is money you can apply for if you have adopted a child from another country as a single parent. It is intended to financially compensate for the child support the child would otherwise have received from another parent.

Am I eligible for maintenance support?

You are eligible for maintenance support if

  • you have custody of the child
  • the child is younger than 18 years old
  • the child is registered at your address
  • you and the child live in Sweden.


Children over the age of 18 can receive extended maintenance support up to June of the year they turn 20. To be eligible for extended maintenance support, the child must

  • attend school full-time at compulsory school level, upper secondary level
  • have student funding or extended child allowance
  • neither be nor ever have been married.

It is the child who must apply for extended maintenance support and the money is paid directly to the child. Use this form:

5010 Application for extended maintenance support when you live with only one parent (in Swedish) Pdf, 828 kB.

How do I apply for maintenance support?

1. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

2. You receive a decision

If your application is complete, it takes no more than 8 weeks before you will receive a decision.

3. Disbursement

You receive the first disbursement as soon as the decision is made. After that, the maintenance support is paid out on the 25th of every month.

Special disbursement dates

Disbursement dates and processing times

Last updated: