Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Adoption allowance

Adoption allowance is money you can receive to cover some of the expenses that arise when you adopt a child from a different country.

Am I eligible for adoption allowance?

You are eligible for adoption allowance if

  • the adoption has been approved by the Swedish Intercountry Adoptions Authority (MIA) or a Swedish court. A foreign adoption decision is also acceptable if the country is party to the Hague Convention.
  • the adoption was arranged by an organisation authorised by MIA
  • the child is a foreign citizen
  • the child is not a resident of Sweden at the time hi or she comes into your care
  • the child is not yet 10 years old
  • you are a resident of Sweden both when the child comes into your care and when the adoption becomes officially recognised in Sweden. If there are two parents involved, this applies to both of you.

How do I apply?

Once your adoption has been officially recognised in Sweden, you can apply for adoption allowance. You must apply within one year from the date the adoption became officially recognised.

1. Apply

Apply using the form.

2540 Application for allowance upon international adoption Pdf, 732 kB.

Send in the form together with:

  • a copy of the adoption decision or a document that confirms the adoption
  • a copy of a document that confirms which organisation arranged the adoption.

2. Disbursement

We can make the payment once the adoption has been approved or we have received the foreign adoption decision. If your application is complete, we will process your case immediately.

Special disbursement dates

Special disbursement dates and processing times

Last updated: