Försäkringskassan's logo
Log in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Additional cost allowance for children

If you have additional expenses related to your child’s disability, you may be eligible for additional cost allowance. Additional costs are costs that are incurred due to the child's disability and go beyond what is customary for children of the same age. Försäkringskassan determines what counts as additional costs.

Can I claim additional cost allowance?

You can receive additional cost allowance if

  • your child has a disability that can be presumed to persist for at least six months
  • you have additional costs amounting to at least SEK 11,825 per year due to the child’s disability
  • you are the child's parent, person who receives a child with a view to adoption, or have custody of the child
  • you and your child are insured in Sweden. If you live here, you are covered by insurance. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.


Additional costs are costs that you incur due to your child's disability, i.e. costs in addition to those that are customary for children of the same age without disabilities. Additional costs can be incurred on a one-time basis or recurring costs, such as consumables.

The Swedish Social Insurance Agency will determine what counts as additional costs due to the child’s disability.

An example: You cannot normally claim compensation for buying a bicycle for your child. However, if you need to adjust the bicycle for your child to be able to ride the bicycle despite their disability, you may be entitled to additional cost compensation. In this case, you will be reimbursed for the cost of adjusting the bicycle – you will not be reimbursed for the cost of the bicycle without adaptation.

It is not possible to list everything that may qualify as additional costs. However, it may include costs relating to

  • health, care and food
  • increased wear of clothing, shoes and furnishings or washing and cleaning
  • travel services, medical and treatment trips not reimbursed by the municipality or region
  • travel by own car if your child is unable to travel by public transport
  • rental or purchase of aids
  • help in daily life
  • leisure activities that are adapted so that your child can participate despite their disability.

You cannot claim additional cost compensation for things you can get for free from the municipality or region. This means, for example, that in case of patient transport with your child, you can only receive compensation up to the high-cost protection. Similarly, you cannot claim additional cost compensation for aids if there is an equivalent aid available to borrow for free from the municipality or region.

Therefore, you should contact the municipality or region before purchasing aids that the child needs due to their disability.

The cost is distributed over the entire period that you use the product

If an additional cost relates to a product that can be used for several years, the cost is spread over the entire period you use the product. Such products can, for example, be furniture or white goods, which are estimated to last for ten years. This means that if you need a washing machine because of your child's disability, and the washing machine costs SEK 6,000, you can expect an additional cost of SEK 600 per year for ten years.

Current processing time

We have longer processing time than normal for care allowance for children with special needs and additional cost allowance, we apologize for you having to wait for the decision and we do everything we can to shorten the times. The average processing time is eight months.

You will not lose any money because of our processing times. If you are entitled to compensation, you will receive money in arrears when we make a decision.

How do I apply?

1. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

Apply for additional cost allowance on My pages (Mina sidor). You use the same application to change how much of the allowance goes to you and how much of it goes to the other parent.

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/tjanster/ansokmek","login":true,"text":"Apply for additional cost allowance or change distribution (in Swedish)"}


It is possible to apply jointly in the e-service. Once one of you has logged in and filled in the details about you, the other parent and child and signed the application, it will be visible in the other parent's My pages. There they will review and sign the application themselves. It must be done within 14 days, otherwise the entire application will be deleted and you will need to fill out a new one.

2. Send in a medical statement

After completing your application, send in a medical statement describing your child’s disability. If you are applying via our e-service you can submit the medical certificate and other attachments digitally through My Pages as soon as we receive your application. You can see your case on My Pages within 24 hours of applying and you then click add attachments to your application.

If you are not applying via the e-service, send the medical certificate and other attachments to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

3. We will contact you

Once we have started processing your case, we will book an appointment with you where we jointly review the additional costs that are due to your child's disability. After the conversation, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency determines what additional costs are reasonable and can be approved. We will then add up the approved additional costs to see if you can receive additional cost reimbursement.

You can prepare for the call by writing down the additional costs you have incurred due to your child's disability, the reason for the costs and how you have calculated them.

If you indicated that you need an interpreter, the administrative officer will make sure one participates in the conversation.

4. You will receive a decision

Unfortunately, we currently have long processing times, an average of eight months. You will not miss out on any money because of our processing times. If you are entitled to compensation, you will receive the money in arrears once we have made a decision on your case.

If your additional costs are at least SEK 11,825 per year, you will receive a decision on a certain monthly amount. The decision can either be indefinite or apply for a limited amount of time.

5. Disbursement

Additional cost allowance is paid out on the 18th or 19th of every month.

For special disbursement dates, see

Disbursement dates and processing timesexternal link

6. Notify us if anything changes

Call your administrator if your additional costs relating to your child change. Report the change as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you became aware of it. Otherwise, you may be required to pay back the money.

Related links

Last updated: