Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Assistance allowance for an adult

You can receive assistance allowance in order for you to hire personal assistants if you have a disability.

Am I eligible for assistance allowance?

You are eligible for assistance allowance if you

  • are covered by the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS)
  • have a major and permanent disability
  • are not yet 66 years old when you apply
  • are insured in Sweden.

In order for you to receive assistance allowance, you must also need personalized support for more than 20 hours per week for assistance with any of the following:

  • breathing
  • personal hygiene
  • eating meals
  • getting dressed and undressed
  • communication with others
  • support to prevent injury as a consequence of mental disability
  • continuous support due to a medical condition.

It is when you need assistance with these needs for more than 20 hours per week that you can receive assistance allowance from Försäkringskassan. If you receive assistance allowance for these needs you may also receive allowance for other personal needs.

If you need assistance with needs for less than 20 hours a week, you can instead apply to receive personal assistance through your municipality. The municipality can also help with, for example, attendant service and relief service.


To be eligible for personal assistance, you must be covered by the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS). You are covered if you belong to one of the following groups according to the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS).

  1. individuals with mental impairments, autism or autism-like conditions
  2. individuals with significant and lasting intellectual disability after brain damage at an adult age caused by external violence or physical disease.
  3. individuals with other permanent physical mental disability that is obviously not due to normal ageing, if such disability is major and causes significant difficulties in daily life and the person thereby has a significant need for support and service.

How do I apply?

Here we describe how it works to apply for assistance allowance from Försäkringskassan.

1. Ask for a doctor's statement

Contact a doctor to get a statement describing your disability and how it affects you.

2. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

Log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply. Since we always contact you after receiving your application, it is alright if your application is brief or if something is missing.


3. Send in the doctor's statement

Send in your medical statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.

4. We will contact you and schedule a meeting

We will confirm your application within a week. If we need to talk to you we will schedule a meeting. At the meeting we will discuss what type of assistance you need and how much. The meeting can either be over the telephone, in your home or at Försäkringskassan's office. You can bring other people to the meeting for support, such as a family member.

5. You receive a decision

It normally takes 4 months before you receive a decision on assistance allowance. However, it may take longer if the necessary documents are missing.


If you already have personal assistance and incurred a cost for this before you received your decision on assistance allowance, you must report the assistance to Försäkringskassan during the time we are processing your application.

Report the assistance by submitting

  • documents proving that your personal assistants have been hired
  • an agreement between you and a provider
  • time reports
  • invoices

We must receive the report no later than on the 5th of the month after you began receiving assistance to be able to pay out allowance.

6. Choose how your assistance will be arranged

If you have not already done so, choose how the assistance will be arranged. You can purchase personal assistance services from an assistance provider, employ your assistants yourself, or combine these alternatives. You must also decide whether you want the money to be paid to you or directly to a provider. Inform us of your choice by using My pages (Mina sidor).



Municipalities wishing to carry out activities as an assistance provider need to report to the Inspectorate for Health and Care (IVO) while private providers must have permission from the National Board of Health and Welfare or the Inspectorate for Health and Care (IVO). Försäkringskassan cannot recommend any particular provider. The Health and Social Care Inspectorate (IVO) has a register of all licensed assistance providers.

If you choose to receive the compensation yourself and purchase assistance services from a provider, you need to check that the company has a corporate tax certificate. Assistance companies must have a corporate tax certificate. This is not required of cooperative or economic associations, but there is more administrative work involved for the individual receiving assistance if the organisation does not have a corporate tax certificate.

If you choose to be your own provider and hire your assistants, it gives you a large number of options, but also requires a great deal of time for administration work.


When you have selected an assistance provider you must send the agreement between you and the provider to us.


If you choose to arrange the assistance yourself, there are a few things that you need to know about how to proceed before the assistance starts, for example that you must report the activity to IVO, the Inspectorate for Health and Care and be registered as an employer with the Swedish Tax Agency.

7. Send in the invoice and time report


Once a month you must submit an invoice for assistance allowance.

It is not possible you to use the service on My pages (Mina sidor) until you have received a decision from us.

If you are unable to use My pages (Mina sidor) you can report the information by using the form

3057 Invoice for assistance performed (in Swedish) Pdf, 757 kB.

3057 Help to complete the form (in Swedish) Pdf, 333 kB, opens in new window.

We must receive the information no later than on the 5th of the second month to which the invoice relates.


You must send in an invoice and time report once a month.


You can submit your invoice on My pages (Mina sidor).

You cannot use the service on My pages (Mina sidor) until you have received a decision from us.

If you cannot use My pages (Mina sidor), you can use the form instead.

3057 Invoice for assistance performed (in Swedish) Pdf, 757 kB.

3057 Help to complete the form (in Swedish) Pdf, 333 kB, opens in new window.

Time reporting

Unfortunately, it is not possible to submit the time report via My pages (Mina sidor) yet. Fill in and submit the form instead.

3059 Time report for assistance allowance (in Swedish) Pdf, 1 MB.

3059 Help to complete the form (in Swedish) Pdf, 159 kB, opens in new window.

Försäkringskassan must receive the forms no later than on the 5th of the second month following the month to which the invoice relates.

8. Disbursement

The allowance can be paid out two ways, either in advance or retrospectively. Retroactive payments are the most common, it is only if you hire all of your assistants yourself that you can receive the compensation in advance.

Retroactive assistance allowance is paid out around the 5th or the 20th of each month. The allowance is paid once all of the documents have been received and processed.

Assistance allowance in advance is paid once a month. Around the 20th of each month, you will receive a preliminary disbursement for the number of hours of assistance compensation you are approved for.

Whether you or someone else is the payment recipient, you will receive a copy of the payment statement every time we pay the compensation. The copy is only for informational purposes and you do not need to do anything.

When will the disbursement appear on My pages (Mina sidor)?

Under Disbursements (Utbetalningar) On My pages (Mina sidor), you can see your disbursement 6 bank days before the money arrives.

Special disbursement dates

Special disbursement dates and processing times

9. Always report changes

Call your case administrator if you:

  • move to another residence
  • need more or less assistance
  • receive some other form of support, e.g. from the municipality or the county
  • move to an assisted living facility
  • are being cared for at a hospital
  • are receiving assistive devices.
  • travel abroad and this affects how your assistants work.

Please also let us know if a licensed healthcare professional determines that you need some form of medical intervention. Some changes may affect the right to assistance allowance and if you have received money that you have not been entitled to, you may have to pay it back. Report the change to Försäkringskassan as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you learned about the change.

Assistive devices are provided by the municipality or region (county council). You can read more about assistive devices at

1177 vårdguiden (1177.se) External link, opens in new window.

Last updated: