Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Special dental care allowance

Special dental care allowance is a subsidy you can receive if you have certain illness or a certain disability that you negatively affect your dental health.

Can I receive special dental care allowance?

You can receive special dental care allowance if you

  • turn at least 23 years of age during the year
  • are insured in Sweden. You are if you live or work here. There are some exceptions to this rule.

Even if you reside in a country other than Sweden, you may be eligible for special dental care allowance in certain circumstances.

You may be eligible for the special dental care allowance if one of the following applies to you:

  • dry mouth due to long-term use of medication
  • dry mouth due to radiation treatment in the ear, nose, mouth or throat region
  • Sjögren's syndrome
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disease having been prescribed oxygen or nutritional drink
  • cystic fibrosis
  • ulcerous colitis
  • Crohn's disease
  • intestinal failure
  • corrosion on the teeth and anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or gastroesophageal reflux disease
  • difficult-to-treat diabetes
  • are undergoing dialysis treatment
  • a suppressed immune system due to use of medication,
  • have undergone an organ transplant.

Your dentist or dental hygienist will decide whether you are eligible for the allowance. In order for them to be able to assess whether you are entitled to the allowance, a basis of assessment is needed. The documentation required depends on what illness or disability you have. More information on these rules can be found on the National Board of Health and Welfare's website.

The National Board of Health and Welfare's regulations concerning special dental care allowance (SOSFS 2012:16) (socialstyrelsen.se) External link, opens in new window.

What can I use the special dental care allowance for?

You can use the allowance for preventive dental health measures, such as check-ups and tooth cleaning. You can also use the special dental care allowance as partial payment for subscription dental care.

How do I use my special dental care allowance?

To be able to use your special dental care allowance, you must go to a dentist or dental hygienist affiliated with the national dental care subsidy. Most are.

You do not need to apply for the allowance, but the dentist or dental hygienist must have a document confirming your illness or disability. If your dentist or dental hygienist determines you are entitled to the allowance, it is deducted from your bill.

Last updated: