Car allowance for a child
You can apply for Car allowance if you have a child, who due to a disability, have severe difficulties travel by car or public transportation with you.
Am I eligible for car allowance?
You are eligible for car allowance if
- you have a child with a disability that makes it very difficult for the child to move about or to take public transportation with you
- the difficulties related to the child’s disability must persist at least 9 years
- you need a vehicle to be able to move about with the child
- you are the individual who will drive the vehicle
- you and the child live together
- you are insured in Sweden.
Car adaptation grant
If you need to adapt a vehicle for your child, you can apply for car adaptation grant for certain costs, for example to modify the vehicle. We will contact you after receiving your application. At that time, you will receive more information about what rules apply and what requirements may be set for the vehicle.
You can generally receive a grant in the amount that the adaptation that is deemed necessary costs.
How do I apply?
1. Contact your doctor.
You need a doctor's statement that describes
- your child’s difficulties moving about and/or travelling using public transportation
- how long and in what scope the child's difficulties are expected to last
We recommend that your doctor fill in this form
Apply for car allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).
3. Attach a digital copy of the doctor’s statement
Once you have signed your application, attach a digital copy of your doctor’s statement. You can take a clear photo of it and then attach the picture on My pages (Mina sidor). It is also possible to attach a scanned copy.
If you cannot make a digital copy, send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.
4. An administrative officer will contact you
An administrative officer will confirm receipt of your application within two weeks. You must not buy the vehicle until you receive a decision on car allowance.