Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Activity compensation for extended schooling

Activity compensation for extended schooling is money you can receive if you need more time to complete your schooling due to a disability.

Am I eligible for activity compensation for extended schooling?

You are eligible for activity compensation if you:

  • need more time to complete compulsory school or upper-secondary school due to a disability or an illness
  • are between 19 and 29 years old.
  • are insured in Sweden and were insured at the time when you became sick. You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here.

How do I apply?

1. Apply

You apply most easily on My pages (Mina sidor).

2. Send in a certificate


Send in a medical document indicating that you have or have had a disability. You must also submit assignments from the school that show how far you have come in your studies and what remains of them. For example, these assignments can be found in your grades and your individual study plan.

Send everything to:

Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral
839 88 Östersund


You must send in a certificate from the school indicating how long you will be studying there. Send in your certificate to:

Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral
839 88 Östersund

3. We will contact you

An administrator will call you when the application has been received. At that time, you will learn how long it could take for you to receive your decision. You will also be told if any additional documents or information is needed at that time.

4. Disbursement

The first disbursement will generally be paid out the same month that school starts. For example, if you start in August the first disbursement will usually be on the 18th or 19th of August.

After the first disbursement, the money will be paid out:

on the 18th of each month if you were born between the 1st and the 15th.
on the 19th of each month if you were born between the 16th and the 31st.

If you live abroad, your sickness compensation is sent from Sweden on the disbursement date.

Special disbursement dates

Special disbursement dates and processing times

5. What happens when I have activity compensation?

If you receive compensation, an administrator will contact you about a month after you receive it and well in advance of its expiry. The administrator will ask you how your studies are going and give you the information you may need.

6. Call us of anything changes

If you are receiving activity compensation, you must call us and let us know if you

  • start working
  • stop going to the school or switch schools
  • receive a new or modified foreign pension, annuity, or the like
  • move abroad.

You may be entitled to other forms of compensation

If you receive activity compensation, you may be entitled to housing supplement.

Housing supplement

You will receive a benefits certificate

When you have been granted activity compensation, we will send you a benefits certificate together with the decision. With the benefits certificate, you can get discounts from certain companies. The companies themselves decide whether they will give a discount, so we have no knowledge as to which companies give discounts.

If you need a new benefits certificate, please call your personal administrative officer and request that we send one to you.

Last updated: