Preventive sickness benefit for job seekers
If you need to refrain from seeking work or taking a job due to a medical treatment or rehabilitation, you can receive preventive sickness benefit. The treatment or rehabilitation must be intended to prevent or shorten the sickness.
Am I eligible for preventive sickness benefit?
You are eligible for preventive sickness benefit if you:
- are at increased risk of becoming sick or have an illness that could affect your work capacity.
- cannot seek work or take a job because you are undergoing medical rehabilitation or treatment.
- were prescribed the treatment by a doctor.
- are registered as a job seeker at the Public Employment Service.
- are insured in Sweden.
How do I apply?
You must first see a doctor, who will write a statement with a treatment plan. The treatment plan must be approved by Försäkringskassan. You then apply like having sickness benefit paid out. It works like this:
1. Your doctor writes a statement with a treatment plan
2. You apply to have Försäkringskassan approve the treatment plan
You can attach the doctor’s certificate and treatment plan digitally when you apply. If you received paper copies of them, you can take a picture of them with your phone or scan them so you can attach them digitally.
3. Försäkringskassan sends a decision on whether the treatment plan is approved or rejected.
You will receive the decision within 30 days after you applied.
4. You apply for preventive sickness benefit
You can apply on a running basis or once the entire treatment is finished.
Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application for preventive sickness benefit. It could take longer if we require more information. The disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work.