Försäkringskassan's logo
Log in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Sick while on parental leave

Here, you can learn what to do if you get sick during your parental leave.

Temporary rules due to the corona virus

Some rules for compensations from Försäkringskassan have been temporarily amended due to the coronavirus. Therefore, please update yourself on the rules on this page:

Coronavirus - this applies

Can I receive sickness benefit if I get sick?

If you get sick, you may be entitled to sickness benefit during the time you should have received parental benefit. We then put your parental benefit on hold during the time you are sick and cannot care for the child.

You may be entitled to sickness benefit if:

  • you are sick and your ability to care for the child is reduced by at least 25 percent
  • you have a defined sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI).

What should I do if I get sick?

1.  Report your sickness

Report your sickness the very first day you are sick.

Sick while on parental leave {"url":"/english/sick/sick-while-on-parental-leave","login":false,"text":"Sick while on parental leave"}

2. Change your application for parental benefit

Log in to My pages (My pages) and remove the days for which you applied for parental benefit, starting from the day you reported your sickness.

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/tjanster/ansokfp","login":true,"text":"Apply for parental benefit (in Swedish)"}

3. Apply for sickness benefit

After reporting your sickness, log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply for sickness benefit. 

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/tjanster/ansoksjp","login":true,"text":"Apply for sickness benefit (in Swedish)"}

4. Send in doctor's certificate

If you are sick for more than 7 days, you must send in a doctor's certificate with information about your illness or injury. In most counties, electronic certificates can be issued. You can then send in your certificate on Mina intyg on 1177 Vårdguiden. This speeds up the process and you then do not have to send the certificate by post.

Mina intyg, 1177 Vårdguiden (minaintyg.se)external link

If you have received your doctor's certificate on paper and for some reason it has not been sent electronically to us, send the original to Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

5. Disbursement

The first sickness benefit disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work. Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application. It could take longer if we require more information.

After the first disbursement, sickness benefit is paid on a specific date each month. Which date applies for you depends on when you were born:

  • If you were born between the 1st and the 10th: the 25th of each month
  • If you were born between the 11th and the 20th: the 26th of each month
  • If you were born between the 21st and the 31st: the 27th of each month

You can see all of your disbursements on My pages (Mina sidor).

Special disbursement dates

Special disbursement dates and processing times

If you want to change any aspect of your sick leave


If your sick leave shall continue in the same scope, you can extend your sick leave by sending in a new doctor's certificate. You can do this digitally on Mina intyg on 1177 Vårdguiden.

Mina intyg, 1177 Vårdguiden (minaintyg.se)external link, opens in new window

You must have approved that all doctor's certificates in the same sickness period shall apply as an application for sickness benefit. If you have not done this, you must fill in a new application. Contact your administrative officer or contact the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to approve all doctor's certificates in the sickness period applying as an application for sickness benefit.


If you begin working part time or in any other way change the scope of your sickness absence, you must notify us of this. This is done most easily via My pages (Mina sidor).

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/du-har-inget-pagaende-arende-om-sjukpenning","login":true,"text":"Change scope of sickness benefit (in Swedish)"}

What should I do once I'm healthy again?

1. Report your recovery

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/du-har-inget-pagaende-arende-om-sjukpenning","login":true,"text":"End sickness benefit (in Swedish)"}

Related links

Last updated: