Preventive sickness benefit
If you need to refrain from working due to a medical treatment or rehabilitation, you can receive preventive sickness benefit. The treatment or rehabilitation must be intended to prevent or shorten the sickness.
Temporary rules due to the corona virus
Some rules for compensations from Försäkringskassan have been temporarily amended due to the coronavirus. Therefore, please update yourself on the rules on this page:
Am I eligible for preventive sickness benefit?
You are eligible for preventive sickness benefit if you:
- are at increased risk of becoming sick or have an illness that could affect your work capacity.
- must refrain from working at least one-fourth of your working hours per day as a result of the treatment or rehabilitation.
- were prescribed the treatment by a doctor.
- lose work-related income that is sickness benefit qualifying income.
- are insured in Sweden.
How do I apply?
You must first see a doctor, who will write a statement with a treatment plan. The treatment plan must be approved by Försäkringskassan. You then apply like having sickness benefit paid out. It works like this:
1. Your doctor writes a statement with a treatment plan
2. You apply to have Försäkringskassan approve the treatment plan
You can attach the doctor’s certificate and treatment plan digitally when you apply. If you received paper copies of them, you can take a picture of them with your phone or scan them so you can attach them digitally.
3. Försäkringskassan sends a decision on whether the treatment plan is approved or rejected
Processing of your case normally takes 30 days from the date when your application to approve the treatment plan is received. It may take more time if we need to request more information.
4. You apply for preventive sickness benefit
You can apply on a running basis or once the entire treatment is finished. When you apply, you must submit information about your salary, your working hours and your employer.
When will the money be paid?
Processing normally takes 30 days from the date when your application for preventive sickness benefit is received. It may take more time if we need to request more information.
Disbursement is not paid out on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work. The actual disbursement will be shown 1 bank day before the money is paid out.