Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Sickness benefit for those with sole proprietorship

Sickness benefit for those with sole proprietorship

Am I eligible for sickness benefit?

You are eligible for sickness benefit if you:

  • are unable to work during your regular working hours due to illness. You must be away at least one-fourth of your regular working hours to be able to receive sickness benefit.
  • lose work-related income that is sickness benefit qualifying income.
  • are insured in Sweden.

How many qualifying days do I have?

Qualifying days are the days at the beginning of a sickness absence when you do not receive compensation. If you are self-employed, you can choose the number of qualifying days you want. If you do not make a choice, you are automatically assigned 7 qualifying days.


You can choose between 1, 14, 30, 60 or 90 days for your qualifying period. The more qualifying days you choose, the lower your health insurance fee. During the qualifying period, you receive no sickness benefit.

Once you have turned 55, you cannot change to a shorter qualifying period.

The easiest way to report a change to your qualifying period is on My pages (Mina sidor).

How do I apply?

1. Report your sickness

Report your sickness the very first day you are sick.

2. Apply for sickness benefit

After reporting your sickness, log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply for sickness benefit.

3. Send in doctor's certificate

If you are sick for more than 7 days, you must send in a doctor's certificate with information about your illness or injury. In most counties, electronic certificates can be issued. You can then send in your certificate on Mina intyg on 1177 Vårdguiden.

Intyg (1177.se) External link, opens in new window.

If you have received your doctor's certificate on paper and for some reason it has not been sent electronically to us, send the original to:

Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral
839 88 Östersund

4. Disbursement

The first sickness benefit disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work. Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application. It could take longer if we require more information.

After the first disbursement, sickness benefit is paid on a specific date each month. Which date applies for you depends on when you were born:

  • If you were born between the 1st and the 10th: the 25th of each month
  • If you were born between the 11th and the 20th: the 26th of each month
  • If you were born between the 21st and the 31st: the 27th of each month

As soon as we have processed your application, you can see your preliminary disbursements under Disbursements (Utbetalningar) on My pages (Mina sidor). The actual disbursement will be shown 1 bank day before the money is paid out.

Special disbursement dates

Special disbursement dates and processing times

If you want to change any aspect of your sick leave


Send in your new doctor’s certificate. You can do this digitally on Mina intyg on 1177 Vårdguiden.

Intyg (1177.se) External link, opens in new window.

If you answered yes when asked whether a new doctor’s certificate should serve to extend the sick leave when you applied for sickness benefit, then you do not need to do anything else.

If you answered no, an application form for extended sickness benefit will be sent to your home. You cannot apply for extended sickness benefit via Mina sidor (My pages).


If you begin working part time or in any other way change the scope of your sickness absence, you must notify us of this. This is done most easily via My pages (Mina sidor).


If you want to end your sickness benefit before the end of your registered sick leave period, you can do this on My pages (Mina sidor).

If you cannot use My pages (Mina sidor), call the Customer Centre or contact your personal administrative officer.

What happens if I am sick for a longer period of time?

If you are sick for a long time, we will contact you after you have received your first payment. You can receive help with anything related to sickness benefit.

If necessary, you will work together to develop a plan to get you back to work. We can also book meetings with the Swedish Public Employment Service and your doctor so you can work as a team to develop a solid plan. The amount of contact you have with us depends on how much help you need and how long you are on sick leave.


When you have received sickness benefit for 364 days, your compensation will be reduced from the normal level of 80 percent to a continuation level of 75 percent of your sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI).

If you have a serious illness you can apply to keep your sickness at 80 percent of your SGI even after 364 days. What in this context counts as serious illness is described in the National Board of Health and Welfare's criteria for serious illness.

Please contact your administrator if you have questions about the levels or how to apply.

Criteria for serious illness (www.socialstyrelsen.se) External link, opens in new window.


If you are at risk of no longer being able to receive compensation from the health insurance system, you will be invited to a meeting with the Swedish Public Employment Service. The meeting will involve a social insurance investigator from Försäkringskassan and an employment officer. The meeting is an opportunity for you to receive support on your journey from sick leave to working life.

Last updated: