Försäkringskassan's logo
Sign in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Employee with sick child (vab)

When an employee stays home from work to take care of a sick child they can receive compensation from Försäkringskassan.

When can the employee receive compensation for care of a sick child?

An employee can receive compensation to stay home from work to care for their child when the child is under the age of 12. This applies in the following cases:

  • The child is ill or a disease carrier
  • The child's ordinary caregiver is sick or infected. The regular carer is the person who usually takes care of the child when the employee is working, for example another parent, a childminder or a relative.
  • The other parent must accompany the child to a doctor's appointment, a health care visit or a dentist.

When an employee needs to take time off from work to care for a sick child, they must report this to you the same day.


Parents of a seriously ill child under the age of 18 have the right to take time off work to care for their child. A child is considered seriously ill if

  • the child's life is in danger or
  • the child receives treatment for an illness without which, the child's life is in danger

Reporting the care of a sick child

The employee must:

  • Report to you that they need to take care of a sick child.

The employer must:

  • Submit a reply to the income inquiry if Försäkringskassan asks for it.
  • Verify that the employee has stayed home to care for a sick child and specify to what extent, if the Försäkringskassan asks for this information.

Last updated: