Preventive sickness benefit for individuals with a sole proprietorship
If you need to refrain from working due to a medical treatment or rehabilitation, you can receive preventive sickness benefit. The treatment or rehabilitation must be intended to prevent or shorten the sickness.
Am I eligible for preventive sickness benefit?
You are eligible for preventive sickness benefit if you:
- are at increased risk of becoming sick or have an illness that could affect your work capacity.
- must refrain from working at least one-fourth of your working hours per day as a result of the treatment or rehabilitation.
- were prescribed the treatment by a doctor.
- lose work-related income that is sickness benefit qualifying income.
- are insured in Sweden.
How much do I get?
Preventive sickness benefit gives you about 80 per cent of your regular income.
When it comes to preventive sickness benefit, you only have a waiting period (qualifying days) if you actively chose to have a waiting period of more than 7 days. If you did not choose or chose a shorter period, you will receive the benefit from the first day you miss work due to the treatment or rehabilitation. If you chose a longer waiting period, then it is that number of qualifying days that applies.
How is my sickness benefit calculated?
Has your company been in business for more than 24 months? If so, your estimated business income determines how much you receive in sickness benefit. We calculate your estimated business income using your business tax forms from the last 3 years.
Has your company been in business for less than 24 months? Then, you might not have earned much estimated income as yet. For this reason, for the first 24 months you receive an amount equal to the sickness benefit an employee with the same work tasks, training and experience would receive.
How do I apply?
You must first see a doctor, who will write a statement with a treatment plan. The treatment plan must be approved by Försäkringskassan. You then apply like having sickness benefit paid out. It works like this:
1. Your doctor writes a statement with a treatment plan
2. You apply to have Försäkringskassan approve the treatment plan
You can attach the doctor’s certificate and treatment plan digitally when you apply. If you received paper copies of them, you can take a picture of them with your phone or scan them so you can attach them digitally.
3. Försäkringskassan sends a decision on whether the treatment plan is approved or rejected.
Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your treatment plan. It could take longer if we require more information.
4. You apply for preventive sickness benefit
You can apply on a running basis or once the entire treatment is finished.
When will the money be paid?
Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application for preventive sickness benefit. It could take longer if we require more information. The disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work.
Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre
Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.
Frequently asked questions
Do you not have a sole proprietorship?
- Information for individuals who are an employee
- Information for individuals with a limited company
- Information for job seekers