Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Benefit for care of closely related persons

Benefit for care of closely related persons is money that you receive for caring for a close relative who is seriously ill. Seriously ill refers to a life-threatening condition.

Am I eligible for benefit for care of closely related persons?

You are eligible for this benefit if:

  • The close relative has an illness that is a distinct threat to his/her life.
  • You care for the close relative at the hospital or in the home. Care means that you are with the person to provide support.
  • The close relative consents to the care.
  • The care is provided in Sweden or in another EU/EEA country. You cannot receive benefit for care of closely related persons if you are caring for someone in a country outside of the EU/EEA.
  • You lose work-related income that is sickness benefit qualifying income.
  • You and the person you are caring for are insured in Sweden.

How do you define seriously ill?

A person is considered seriously ill if there is a distinct threat to the person’s life. This means that there is a risk that the person will not survive the illness. A person with an illness that may be life threatening in the long term is not considered seriously ill. The risk must instead be related to the near future.

Who is a closely-related person?

Closely-related person refers to a relative or any other person who has a close relationship with the sick person. For example, it could be a friend or a neighbour.

What is meant by care?

Care, in this context, means being close at hand and providing the sick person support. In other words, it is not about helping the staff with the practical work.

How much can I get as benefit for care of closely related persons?

The compensation is normally a little less than 80 per cent of your regular income, but there is a maximum limit for how much money you can receive.

How do I apply for benefit for care of closely related persons?

1. Ask for consent from the person who is sick. 

The person who is sick must consent to the care by filling in this form. If the person cannot provide consent, it is important that the doctor writes this in the doctor’s statement.

7468 Samtycke för närståendepenning

2. Ask for a doctor's statement

Ask the doctor of the person who is sick to write a doctor’s statement for you.

3. Apply

Apply on My pages (Mina sidor). Apply within no more than 3 months from the first date you are requesting compensation for.

4. Attach digital copies

Once you have signed your application, attach digital copies of the doctor’s statement and consent form. You can take a clear photo of the documents and then attach the pictures on My pages (Mina sidor). It is also possible to attach scanned copies.

If you cannot make digital copies, send your documents to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

5. Disbursement

Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application. It could take longer if we require more information. The disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Frequently asked questions

Several closely-related persons can take turns providing care and receive compensation for different days or parts of the day. But, the benefit cannot be paid to several caregivers for the same period of time.

If you are the only person providing care, you can receive the benefit for 100 days. If there are several people providing the care, you share the 100 days.

Send in an additional Declaration regarding benefit for care of closely related persons, specifying the new days.

Sickness benefit qualifying income is the data used to calculate how much money you can receive in e.g. sickness benefit. It is often the same as your annual work-related income.

Your total income must be at least SEK 10,700 per year to have a sickness benefit qualifying income. If you earn less than this, then you will not receive any benefit for care of closely related persons.

How do I calculate my annual income?

Calculate your annual income as follows:

  • If you have a monthly salary, multiply it by 12.
  • If you have an hourly wage, multiply it by 2,080 if you work full time each month.
  • If you have an hourly wage and have varied working hours, you are welcome to call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 for help in calculating your annual income.

What income is counted?

Income is considered part of your sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI) if

  • you will be receiving it for at least the next six months, or
  • it recurs annually.

This also applies to overtime pay, commission and supplement for inconvenient working hours.

Is there any type of income I cannot receive compensation for?

Only work-related income counts towards your sickness benefit qualifying income. This means that the following cannot be included:

  • sickness benefit, parental benefit and other daily compensation from Försäkringskassan
  • financial aid
  • unemployment benefit
  • pension
  • investment income
  • taxable benefits, such as the value of a company car or food and lodging
  • expense allowance, such as subsistence allowance
  • severance pay

How do I calculate my annual working time?

Annual working time is your working time with holiday time included. You indicate your annual working time in days or in hours.

If you work the same number of hours each day, indicate your annual working time in days. Multiply the number of days you work in a regular week by 52.

If you do not work the same number of hours each day, indicate your annual working time in hours. Multiply the number of hours you work in a regular week by 52.

Overtime, additional hours, etc. are not included in the annual working time. If the amount of time you work varies each week or month, calculate how much you work on average. If you are unsure about your working time, ask your employer.

Yes, if you are receiving benefit for care of closely related persons, you are entitled to take time off from your work. Discuss the leave with your employer as soon as possible.

Yes, the benefit can be taken as one-quarter, one-half or all of the amount.

You are insured in Sweden if you work here. There are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country
  • work as part of a flight crew
  • are a contracted employee within the EU
  • have been granted an exemption to be covered by Swedish social insurance.   

If you have technical issues

If your e-identification does not work or if you have other technical issues, you can get help on our technical support pages, where you can even get the help of an administrator directly in a web meeting. You are then connected with the administrator, who can see your screen and help you. Web meetings are available during the Customer Centre’s opening hours.

Technical support opens in a new window

If you have a protected identity

If you or your child has a protected identity, you cannot use all of the e-services found on My pages (Mina sidor).

If you are living with a protected identity or have a child with a protected identity

If you must apply using a paper form

All forms that can be downloaded from the website can be found under Forms and certificates.

Forms and certificates