Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Disease carrier’s benefit for employees

Disease carrier allowance is money you can receive if you are unable to work because you have or are suspected of having an infectious disease.

Am I eligible for disease carrier allowance?

You can receive disease carrier allowance if you must refrain from working because you:

  • have or are suspected of having an infectious disease, but do not have a diminished work capacity
  • must visit the doctor to investigate whether you have an infectious disease
  • are infected with a disease considered a public health hazard
  • have an illness, infection, wound or other injury that means you may not handle food
  • are insured in Sweden. There are some exceptions to this rule.

Another requirement is that you:

  • lose work income.

New recommendations if you live with a person infected by covid-19

The Public Health Agency (Folkhälsomyndigheten) has issued new recommendations concerning people who live with someone who has been confirmed to be infected by covid-19. If this applies to you must abide by guidelines and rules concerning the spread of infection.
You will for example have to work from home. If you cannot work from home you can apply for disease carrier allowance from Försäkringskassan. Remember that you have to send in a doctor´s certificate stating that you cannot physically be at your place of work.

A health official will contact you if you are affected by the new guidelines and give you more information.

How much do I get?

You receive approximately 80 percent of your salary, but this is capped to SEK 804 per day.

You can also receive a travel allowance for trips you must make in relation to medical examinations, health checks or treatments.

How do I apply?

1. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

2. Submit the doctor's certificate

Along with your application, you must submit a certificate indicating that you are not allowed to work or search for a job because you have or are suspected of having an infectious disease. The certificate will be provided by your doctor.

3. Disbursement

Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application. It could take longer if we require more information. The disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Frequently asked questions

The Communicable Diseases Act covers about 30 diseases, including:

  • salmonella
  • infectious jaundice, such as hepatitis A, B and C
  • tuberculosis

You can read more about the Communicable Disease Act on the 1177 Vårdguiden website Vårdguiden ( öppnas i nytt fönster

You are insured in Sweden if you work here. There are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country
  • work as part of a flight crew
  • are a contracted employee within the EU
  • have been granted an exemption to be covered by Swedish social insurance   

If you have technical issues

If your e-identification does not work or if you have other technical issues, you can get help on our technical support pages, where you can even get the help of an administrator directly in a web meeting. You are then connected with the administrator, who can see your screen and help you. Web meetings are available during the Customer Centre’s opening hours.

Technical support opens in a new window

If you have a protected identity

If you or your child has a protected identity, you cannot use all of the e-services found on My pages (Mina sidor).

If you are living with a protected identity or have a child with a protected identity

If you must apply using a paper form

All forms that can be downloaded from the website can be found under Forms and certificates.

Forms and certificates 

Ja, läkaren kan skriva ett läkarintyg per telefon. Försäkringskassan gör sedan en bedömning om du har rätt till ersättning utifrån innehåller i läkarintyget.

Regeringen har beslutat att tillfälligt ta bort kravet på läkarintyg vid ansökan om smittbärarpenning som gäller covid-19. Det gäller från och med 6 februari och fram till och med 30 april 2021. Det krävs fortfarande att du har blivit avstängd av en läkare, det vill säga att du har fått förhållningsregler om att du inte får gå till arbetet eftersom du är eller kan vara smittad, för att ha rätt till ersättningen.

I ansökan uppger du för vilken period du har blivit avstängd. Det är bra om du ansöker för hela perioden när du har börjat arbeta igen.

Undantaget från läkarintyg gäller när du ansöker om ersättning för dagar från och med 6 februari 2021. Om din ansökan gäller dagar före 6 februari, eller annan allmänfarlig sjukdom, behöver du fortfarande ha ett läkarintyg från första dagen när du ansöker.