Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Special high-risk protection

Special high risk protection means that your employer can receive compensation for your sick pay costs if you are at risk of having long periods of illness or of being sick often. If you are sick often, you can also skip the qualifying days (waiting period). 

Am I entitled to special high risk protection?

By answering a few questions about your situation in the guide for persons with disabilities, you can easily see if you are eligible for special high risk protection.

You are covered by the special high risk protection if it is likely that illness or a disability will cause you to be

  • sick often (more than ten times in one year), or
  • sick for a long period of time (more than 28 consecutive days).

You must also be insured in Sweden.

How do I apply?

1. Get a doctor’s statement

Contact your doctor and obtain a doctor's statement that describes why you will be sick often or for a long time.

2. Fill in the application form

You apply using this form. Your employer must fill in which sick periods you have had.

7465 Application for special high risk protection (87 kB)PDF opens in a new window

3. Send in the application form and the doctor's statement

You send the application to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

4. You receive a decision

When we have received the application and doctor’s certificate, it normally takes 30 days for us to process your application. It could take longer if we require more information. The decision begins to apply no earlier than the month after the application was submitted.

What should I do if I become sick?

If you are an employee, you report your sickness to your employer as usual. You will receive compensation from your employer, who in turn will be compensated for the sick pay costs by Försäkringskassan.

If you are a job seeker or self-employed, you report your sickness to Försäkringskassan as usual so we can pay you sickness benefit.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Frequently asked questions

If you have a one-day or seven-day qualifying period, you are covered by the special high risk protection if you are self-employed. This means that Försäkringskassan can pay you sickness benefit for your qualifying period.

Your employer can receive compensation for your sick pay costs without you having to confirm that you are likely to be sick going forward. If you received activity compensation during the last year, the decision on special high risk protection applies the month after the month the decision was made.

It is Försäkringskassan that pays your qualifying period. If you are an employee, we compensate your employer for the sick pay costs. If you are a job seeker or self-employed, you can receive sickness benefit from us.

You are insured in Sweden if you work here. There are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country
  • work as part of a flight crew
  • are a contracted employee within the EU
  • have been granted an exemption to be covered by Swedish social insurance

If you need to be away from work for preparations and procedures related to organ or tissue donation, you may be entitled to special high-risk protection.