Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Child carer’s allowance

Kan jag få omvårdnadsbidrag?

18 minuter

Den här filmen vänder sig till dig som vill få information om vad som gäller om du ska ansöka om omvårdnadsbidrag.


If you have a child with disability, you can receive child carer’s allowance. The allowance is based on the care and supervision your child needs beyond what is standard for a child of the same age without disability.

Am I eligible for child carer’s allowance?

You can receive child carer’s allowance if

  • your child has a disability. A disability can be congenital or the result of an illness, injury, or the like.
  • you give the child care and supervision as a result of the disability for at least six months.
  • you are the child’s parent or can be equated with the child’s parent.
  • you and your child are insured in Sweden. If you live here, you are. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

What is considered care and supervision?

Care can refer to direct care efforts you provide for your child, as well as other assistance such as

  • special training
  • practical help in day-to-day life, such as getting dressed and undressed, hygiene, homework, clothing care and help with meals
  • establishing routines and structure
  • getting your child active and motivated
  • special diet, moisturising or other self-care

Supervision is the presence of an adult that your child needs, for example, so that they do not run away, come up with dangerous things to do, or suffer or cause an accident. Supervision does not necessarily mean that you have to actively prevent situations that are hazardous for the child. It can also be e.g. being available in case something happens while the child is at school.

How much do I get?

You can receive child carer’s allowance at one of four levels. Försäkringskassan assesses your child’s total need for care and supervision after interviewing you. If you have multiple children with disability, you can receive maximum one full child carer’s allowance per child. Child carer’s allowance is taxed.

The amounts are adjusted at the start of each year. For 2020 they are:

  • SEK 2,464 per month (one-fourth)
  • SEK 4,927 per month (one-half)
  • SEK 7,391 per month (three-fourths)
  • SEK 9,854 per month (full)

Two parents can receive child carer’s allowance

You and the child’s other parent can receive child carer’s allowance for the same child. In such case, you share the allowance. Försäkringskassan assesses the child’s total need for care and supervision, and you can choose how the allowance is divided between you. If you do not make a choice, you will receive half each. If you cannot reach an agreement, Försäkringskassan will make a division in units of one-fourth based on where the child lives and spends their time.

Under the Parental Leave Act, you have the right to shorten your working hours by up to 25 per cent if you or the other parent is receiving child carer’s allowance for the child. This applies even after the child has reached the age of eight or completed their first year of school. Bear in mind that reducing your working hours could lead to lower income, which could affect your sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI).


How do I apply?

1. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

Apply for child carer’s allowance on My pages (Mina sidor). You use the same application to change how much of the child carer’s allowance goes to you and how much of it goes to the other parent.

If there are two of you applying jointly, you each need to fill in an application via My pages (Mina sidor) and enter the other parent’s personal identity number in the “Other” (Övrigt) field. This way, our administrative officers can see that you have applied jointly.


2. Send in a medical statement

After completing your application, send in a medical statement describing your child’s disability. If you are applying via our e-service you can submit the medical certificate and other attachments digitally through My Pages as soon as we receive your application. You can see your case on My Pages within 24 hours of applying and you then click add attachments to your application.

If you are not applying via the e-service, send the medical certificate and other attachments to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

3. We contact you

Once we have received your application, an administrative officer will schedule a time for a call, where we will interview you about your child’s need for care and supervision as a result of their disability. The administrative officer will then assess whether the circumstances entitle you to child carer’s allowance and, if so, at what level.

If you indicated that you need an interpreter, the administrative officer will make sure one participates in the phone call.

4. You will receive a decision

Unfortunately, we currently have long processing times, an average of eight months. You will not miss out on any money because of our processing times. If you are entitled to compensation, you will receive the money in arrears once we have made a decision on your case. If you have previously received care allowance that has ceased in connection with a follow-up, we will prioritize your case.

If you are granted child carer’s allowance, you will receive a decision about what amount you will receive per month. The decision can either have a specific time limit, or apply until June of the year that the child turns 19.

5. Disbursement

Child carer’s allowance is paid out on the 18th or 19th of every month.

For special disbursement dates, see

Disbursement dates and processing times

6. Notify us if anything changes

Call your case administrator if, for example,

  • your child's disability changes
  • your child's need for care and supervision changes
  • the attendance allowance for the child increases or decreases
  • support from your municipality or county increases or decreases

Report the change as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you learned about the change. Otherwise, you may be required to pay back the money.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas nytt fönster öppnas i nytt fönster

Vanliga frågor

Du kan få omvårdnadsbidrag från att ditt barn är nyfött om ditt barn har en funktionsnedsättning och därför behöver extra omvårdnad och tillsyn.

Ja, du kan få omvårdnadsbidrag upp till tre månader bakåt i tiden från den månad då vi får din ansökan om du redan då hade rätt till bidraget.

Ja, barnet behöver inte ha en fastställd diagnos. Det räcker att du skickar in ett intyg från en läkare som beskriver barnets funktionsnedsättning.

I beslutsbrevet som du får efter att du har beviljats omvårdnadsbidrag står det hur länge beslutet gäller. Du kan få omvårdnadsbidrag med eller utan tidsbegränsning, men som längst till och med juni det år barnet fyller 19 år.

Det är ditt barns sammantagna behov av omvårdnad och tillsyn som avgör om du har rätt till omvårdnadsbidrag och i så fall på vilken nivå.

Från och med juni det år som ditt barn fyller 19 år kan du som förälder inte längre få omvårdnadsbidrag. Beroende på ditt barns funktionsnedsättning och situation kan det finnas andra ersättningar som barnet har möjlighet att ansöka om. Kontakta din handläggare för mer information.

Ja. Ditt barn kan ha assistansersättning samtidigt som du har omvårdnadsbidrag. Omvårdnadsbidraget gäller då för de behov som barnet har av omvårdnad och tillsyn och som inte ingår i assistansersättningen.

Vi bedömer barnens sammanlagda behov av omvårdnad och tillsyn. Om du har flera barn med funktionsnedsättning så kan varje barn kan ge rätt till som mest ett helt omvårdnadsbidrag. Du kan också få omvårdnadsbidrag om barnens sammanlagda behov ger rätt till det även om barnen var för sig inte gör det.

Nej, men du kan ansöka om merkostnadsersättning för extra kostnader som du har på grund av ditt barns funktionsnedsättning. Kostnaderna ska vara kopplade till ditt barns funktionsnedsättning och vara kostnader utöver vad som är vanligt för barn i samma ålder utan funktionsnedsättning.

Merkostnadsersättning för barn

  Nej, omvårdnadsbidrag kan inte beviljas för samma barn och samma tid som det lämnas vårdbidrag för.

Nej. Omvårdnadsbidrag och merkostnadsersättning är två fristående ersättningar och de är inte beroende av varandra. Det görs ingen sammanvägd bedömning av ditt barns behov av omvårdnad och dina merkostnader kopplade till barnets funktionsnedsättning.

Om du har ansökt om båda ersättningarna så utreder vi om du har rätt till ersättningarna och du får två separata beslut.

Ja. Vårdas ditt barn långvarigt på sjukhus eller annan institution får du behålla omvårdnadsbidraget i 6 månader.

Är barnet svårt sjukt och du som förälder behöver finnas på plats på sjukhuset under barnets behandling kan du få behålla omvårdnadsbidraget i 12 månader.

Nej, du kan få omvårdnadsbidrag även om du kan likställas som förälder, det kan du om något av följande stämmer in på dig:

  • Du är förälders make som stadigvarande sammanbor med föräldern.
  • Du är förälders sambo som tidigare har varit gift med eller har eller har haft barn med föräldern.
  • Du är barnets särskilt förordnade vårdnadshavare och har vård om barnet.
  • Du är blivande adoptivförälder till ett barn som inte är svensk medborgare och som inte är bosatt i Sverige när du får barnet i din vård.

Ja, ett beslut om omvårdnadsbidrag ska följas upp regelbundet, minst vartannat år om det inte finns skäl för uppföljning med längre mellanrum eller när förhållanden som påverkar rätten till bidraget har ändrats.

Exempel på ändrade förhållanden är om ditt barns hälsotillstånd har ändrats eller om omvårdnadsbidrag beviljas för ett till barn som inte är med i den tidigare bedömningen av omvårdnadsbidraget.

Om du har tekniska problem

Om din e-legitimation inte fungerar eller om du har andra tekniska problem kan du få hjälp på sidorna för teknisk support. Där finns möjlighet att få hjälp av en handläggare direkt i ett webbmöte. Du kopplas då ihop med handläggaren som ser din skärm och kan hjälpa dig. Webbmöten är tillgängliga samma tider som kundcenter har öppet.

Teknisk support

Om du har skyddad identitet

Om du eller ditt barn har skyddad identitet kan du tyvärr inte använda alla e-tjänster som finns på Mina sidor.
För dig om lever med skyddad identitet eller har barn med skyddad identitet

Om du behöver ansöka på en pappersblankett

Alla blanketter som finns tillgängliga för nedladdning på webbplatsen hittar du på sidan Blanketter och intyg.

Blanketter och intyg

Related links

For those who are receiving care allowance