Car allowance for a child
Car allowance is a grant for persons with a child who has severe difficulties moving about due to a disability or taking public transportation, like a bus or train, with you. Car allowance is intended to help you purchase or adapt a vehicle to meet the child's needs.
Am I eligible for car allowance?
You are eligible for car allowance if
- you have a child with a disability that makes it very difficult for the child to move about or to take public transportation with you
- the difficulties related to the child’s disability must persist at least 9 years
- you need a vehicle to be able to move about with the child
- you are the individual who will drive the vehicle
- you and the child live together
- you are insured in Sweden.
How much do I get?
If you are granted car allowance, you can receive a purchase grant that can consist of a basic grant of maximum:
- SEK 30,000 for a car
- SEK 12,000 for a motorcycle
- SEK 3,000 for a moped.
If you earn less than SEK 220,000 per year, you may also be eligible for car purchase grant. The grant ranges from SEK 4,000 to SEK 40,000. If you are married or have a live-in partner, we also include your spouse’s/partner’s income in our calculations.
You can receive an additional purchase grant for a vehicle in the form of supplementary grant. Special requirements may be set for the vehicle in order to receive supplementary grant.
- SEK 30 000 which is for the purchase of a vehicle that must be adapted due to your child’s disability.
- SEK 40 000 which is for the purchase of a vehicle in which your child can remain in your wheelchair during travel, can move from the wheelchair to a seat inside the car, or bring along a motorised wheelchair or similar assistive device.
- Grant is for the purchase of a vehicle with special factory-installed devices that are necessary in relation to your child’s disability. The grant varies depending on the device. See the table below.
The following are the maximum amounts you can receive in grant for different devices
- Automatic gearbox – SEK 16,400
- Electric opening and closing of boot lid/tailgate – SEK 5,100
- Power driver’s seat, min. six-way adjustment – SEK 7,400
- Power driver’s seat, with expanded ergonomic properties – SEK 14,400
- Keyless system/start button – SEK 5,200
- Reversing camera – SEK 4,600
- Remote-controlled, fuel-driven passenger compartment heater – SEK 14,000
- Heated windscreen – SEK 3,900
Car adaptation grant
If you need to adapt a vehicle for your child, you can apply for car adaptation grant for certain costs, for example to modify the vehicle. We will contact you after receiving your application. At that time, you will receive more information about what rules apply and what requirements may be set for the vehicle.
You can generally receive a grant in the amount that the adaptation that is deemed necessary costs.
How do I apply for car allowance?
1. Contact your doctor.
You need a doctor's statement that describes
- your child’s difficulties moving about and/or travelling using public transportation
- how long and in what scope the child's difficulties are expected to last
We recommend that your doctor fill in this form
Apply for car allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).
3. Attach a digital copy of the doctor’s statement
Once you have signed your application, attach a digital copy of your doctor’s statement. You can take a clear photo of it and then attach the picture on My pages (Mina sidor). It is also possible to attach a scanned copy.
If you cannot make a digital copy, send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.
4. An administrative officer will contact you
An administrative officer will confirm receipt of your application within two weeks. You must not buy the vehicle until you receive a decision on car allowance.
The money allocated for car allowance could run out during the course of the year
Each year, the Riksdag establishes an upper limit on the money to be used to pay out car adaptation grant. Sometimes it happens that the money runs out before the year's end. If the money runs out, it means you will have to wait for your disbursement until we receive new car allowance funds.
Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre
Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.