Additional cost allowance for adults
If you have additional expenses as the result of a disability, you may be eligible for additional cost allowance.
Can I receive additional cost allowance?
You can receive additional cost allowance if you
- have a disability that can be presumed to persist for at least one year.
- have additional expenses related to your disability that have been approved by Försäkringskassan and are at least SEK 11,825 per year.
- Are at least 18 years of age and are no longer supported by your parents.
- are insured in Sweden. If you live here, you are. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.
Additional expenses are:
- reasonable costs you have incurred in relation to your disability
- costs beyond the costs that are common for people of the same age who do not have a disability
- ongoing costs or one-off costs.
There are no defined models of what can be considered an additional expense, but it may regard
- health, healthcare and diet, such as costs up to the high-cost protection for patient fees, medications and more expensive food products if you, for example, need to follow a special diet as a result of your disability
- wear and cleaning
- travel, for example travel with disability transport services, patient transport services or your own car if you have trouble travelling by public transportation
- assistive devices (if no equivalent devices can be borrowed from the municipality or county council)
- help in day-to-day life, such as home health services fee, cost for a guardian or privately hired cleaning help
- other purposes, such as adapted leisure activities.
Costs for various services, such as home help services or disability transport services, can vary between different municipalities, and some costs may reimbursed by the municipality or county council, for example. In such cases, you cannot receive additional cost allowance for them since you then do not have an additional expense.
The expense is distributed over the entire period that you use the product
An additional expense may relate to a product that you will use for several years. In such case, we distribute the expense evenly over the period you use the product. For example, furniture and household appliances are expected to have a service life of ten years. If, for example, you bought a washing machine that we approve as an additional expense based on your situation and we feel it will last you ten years, we will distribute the expense over ten years. If the washing machine cost SEK 6,000, we factor SEK 600 into your annual additional expenses.
How much money will I get?
You can receive additional cost allowance at one of five levels based on the extent of the additional expenses related to your disability.
To receive additional cost allowance, you must have additional expenses of at least SEK 11,825 per year in 2020. This means that you cannot receive additional cost allowance if your expenses are lower than SEK 11,825 per year, even if these expenses are reasonable and are related to your disability. The amounts are adjusted at the start of each year.
If in 2020 you have additional expenses amounting to:
- SEK 11,825 per year, you can receive SEK 1,183 per month.
- SEK 16,555 per year, you can receive SEK 1,577 per month.
- SEK 21,285 per year, you can receive SEK 1,971 per month.
- SEK 26,015 per year, you can receive SEK 2,365 per month.
- SEK 30,745 per year, you can receive SEK 2,759 per month.
You do not pay any tax on the allowance.
How do I apply?
1. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)
Apply for additional cost allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).
Fill in and submit the form
2. Send in a doctor's statement
After completing your application, send in a doctor's statement that describes your disability to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.
3. We contact you
Once we have received your application, an administrative officer will schedule a time for a call, where you will go through the additional expenses related to your disability.
If your expenses are judged to be reasonable and justified based on your situation, they are approved by Försäkringskassan. One requirement for your expenses to be approved is that they arose as a result of your disability and that they are expenses that extend beyond the costs that are common for people of the same age who do not have a disability.
Once this is done, your approved additional expenses are added together to see whether they reach the level that makes you eligible for additional cost allowance.
You can prepare for the call by writing down what increased costs you have. If you indicated that you need an interpreter, the administrative officer will make sure one participates in the phone call.
4. You receive a decision
If your expenses are high enough, you will receive a decision about what amount you will receive per month. The decision can either be indefinite or apply for a limited amount of time.
Additional cost allowance is paid out on the 18th or 19th of every month.
- If the disbursement date is a Saturday, your money will be paid out on Friday.
- If the disbursement date is a Sunday, your money will be paid out on Monday.
- Disbursement normally scheduled for 19 April is paid out on 18 April 2019.
When will the disbursement appear on My pages (Mina sidor)?
On My pages (Mina sidor), you can see the disbursement under Disbursements (Utbetalningar) 8 bank days before the money arrives.
6. Report changes
Call your personal administrative officer if your additional expenses change. Report the change as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you learned about it. Otherwise, you may be required to pay back the money.
Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre
Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.