Disability allowance is money you can receive if you have a disability or illness and as a result you need assistance in daily activities or have additional expenses.
Am I eligible for disability allowance?
By answering a few questions about your situation in the guide for persons with disabilities, you can easily see if you are eligible for disability allowance.
Guide – för dig med funktionsnedsättning
You can receive disability allowance if one or more of the following applies to you due to your disability or illness:
- You need assistance at least two hours a day.
- You need assistance to be able to study or work.
- You have additional expenses. If you receive compensation for additional expenses only, the additional expenses must be greater than SEK 12,768 a year.
In addition, you must
- need assistance or have additional expenses for at least one year
- be at least 19 years old
- be insured in Sweden. You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here. There are some exceptions to this rule.
How much do I get?
There are three possible levels of disability allowance. Which level you receive depends on how much assistance you need or how large your additional expenses are. The levels are adjusted every year. For 2018 they are:
SEK 1,365 per month (minimum)
SEK 2,010 per month (medium)
SEK 2,616 per month (maximum)
You do not pay any tax on the disability allowance.
How do I apply?
1. Get a doctor’s statement
Contact a doctor to get a statement describing your disability and how it affects you.
2. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)
You apply for disability allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).
Ansök om handikappersättning (inloggning)
3. Send in the doctor's statement
Send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.
4. You receive a confirmation letter
We will send you a decision letter within one week of receiving your application. The letter will provide information such as the name of your personal administrator and how long it will take to process your case.
5. The administrator calls you
Your personal administrator will call and schedule a telephone interview with you. During the call, you will discuss what you need assistance with, how much assistance you need, whether you have additional expenses and, if so, how much they are.
6. You receive a decision
After the call, the administrator will compile your need of assistance and your additional expenses so that Försäkringskassan can decide if you are entitled to disability allowance and, if so, how much. You will usually be notified of the decision within three months of the date you applied.
If you are granted disability allowance for a time before you applied (retroactively), your first disbursement will be paid no more than 2 weeks after the decision has been made.
After the first disbursement, the money will be paid out:
- on the 18th of each month if you were born between the 1st and the 15th
- on the 19th of each month if you were born between the 16th and the 31st
Special disbursement dates
- If the disbursement date is a Saturday, your money will be paid out on Friday.
- If the disbursement date is a Sunday, your money will be paid out on Monday.
- Public holidays are treated like a Sunday.
8. Report changes
Call your personal administrator if anything causes your need of assistance or your additional expenses to change. Report the change as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you learned about the change.