Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Disability allowance

Disability allowance is money you can receive if you have a disability or illness and as a result you need assistance in daily activities or have additional expenses.

Am I eligible for disability allowance?

By answering a few questions about your situation in the guide for persons with disabilities, you can easily see if you are eligible for disability allowance.

Guide – för dig med funktions­nedsättning

You can receive disability allowance if one or more of the following applies to you due to your disability or illness:

  • You need assistance at least two hours a day.
  • You need assistance to be able to study or work.
  • You have additional expenses. If you receive compensation for additional expenses only, the additional expenses must be greater than SEK 12,768 a year.

In addition, you must

  • need assistance or have additional expenses for at least one year
  • be at least 19 years old
  • be insured in Sweden. You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here. There are some exceptions to this rule.

How much do I get?

There are three possible levels of disability allowance. Which level you receive depends on how much assistance you need or how large your additional expenses are. The levels are adjusted every year. For 2018 they are:

  • SEK 1,365 per month (minimum)
  • SEK 2,010 per month (medium)
  • SEK 2,616 per month (maximum)

You do not pay any tax on the disability allowance.

How do I apply?

1. Get a doctor’s statement

Contact a doctor to get a statement describing your disability and how it affects you.

2. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

You apply for disability allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).

3. Send in the doctor's statement

Send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.

4. You receive a confirmation letter

We will send you a decision letter within one week of receiving your application. The letter will provide information such as the name of your personal administrator and how long it will take to process your case.

5. The administrator calls you

Your personal administrator will call and schedule a telephone interview with you. During the call, you will discuss what you need assistance with, how much assistance you need, whether you have additional expenses and, if so, how much they are.

6. You receive a decision

After the call, the administrator will compile your need of assistance and your additional expenses so that Försäkringskassan can decide if you are entitled to disability allowance and, if so, how much. You will usually be notified of the decision within three months of the date you applied.

7. Disbursement

If you are granted disability allowance for a time before you applied (retroactively), your first disbursement will be paid no more than 2 weeks after the decision has been made.

After the first disbursement, the money will be paid out:

  • on the 18th of each month if you were born between the 1st and the 15th
  • on the 19th of each month if you were born between the 16th and the 31st

Special disbursement dates

  • If the disbursement date is a Saturday, your money will be paid out on Friday.
  • If the disbursement date is a Sunday, your money will be paid out on Monday. 
  • Public holidays are treated like a Sunday. 

8. Report changes

Call your personal administrator if anything causes your need of assistance or your additional expenses to change. Report the change as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you learned about the change.

Frequently asked questions

Examples of help in daily activities include administration of medicine, help with personal hygiene, cooking, serving as a guiding companion, making purchases, washing and cleaning.

It may also be help in getting to work or studies, or assistance at the workplace in the form of getting binders or other work materials or getting to and from the employee dining area.

Additional expenses are extra costs you incur due to your disability or illness. Examples of this include

  • healthcare equipment and the rent or purchase of assistive devices
  • physical therapy, medical care and treatment
  • medications or a special diet prescribed by a doctor or dietician
  • dental care
  • household equipment
  • travel due to sickness or to obtain treatment
  • extra wear to clothes
  • fee for a special representative
  • charge for home health services.

For some of these expenses, you may also receive money from your municipality, your county council, or elsewhere. If this is the case, you cannot also receive disability allowance for them since you can never receive double compensation for an expense.

Yes, under certain conditions.

You can keep the allowance you already have as long as you have the same need of assistance and the same additional expenses. But, you cannot receive a higher level if you would need more assistance or incur increased costs.

You can also apply for disability allowance once you have turned 65 if you meet certain requirements. You must meet the general conditions for disability allowance. Your disability and the associated need for assistance or additional expenses must also have occurred before you turned 65. We will investigate what need of assistance and additional expenses you had before you turned 65. It is therefore important to have a doctor’s statement describing the disability from before your 65th birthday.

Yes, if you lack locomotor vision you will receive the highest compensation. If at the same time you receive full sickness compensation, activity compensation or old-age pension it is reduced, but you are always entitled to compensation at the minimum level.

Yes, if you have seriously impaired hearing or have difficulty hearing what other people are saying even when using hearing aids you are entitled to disability allowance at the minimum level. You may be entitled to a higher level of compensation if you have other assistance needs or additional expenses. You will usually be notified of the decision within three months of the date you applied.

Yes, you can keep the disability allowance if you will not remain in hospital longer than six months.

Yes, you can take advantage of discounted travel on public transport in some cities and pay less to get into certain events if you can present a benefits certificate. The certificate comes together with the decision letter.

If you have not received it or need a new one, you can call the Customer Centre and order one.

Yes, you can keep the compensation you already have as long as you have the same need of assistance and the same additional expenses.

Yes, you can receive assistive devices from your county council, region, or municipality. The easiest way to find out what applies where you live is to consult the staff of your primary care centre. You can also search for information at

Hinfo ( opens in a new window

If you incur expenses for the assistive devices, you can apply for disability allowance from Försäkringskassan.

No, not usually. You can receive disability allowance indefinitely if your need for assistance and your expenses will persist. In such cases, we will contact you every few years to review your need for assistance and your expenses. Your decision letter will indicate when the next follow-up is planned.

Yes. You can apply to receive disability allowance for six months back in time if you needed assistance or had additional expenses at that time.

If you need to change something in your application, you should contact your personal administrator. You can also phone the Customer Centre.

Yes, you can receive disability allowance if you live in a boarding house if you have expenses for personal assistance and service. This applies to boarding houses at

  • a national special school for the disabled
  • a national upper-secondary school for deaf or hearing impaired young people
  • a national upper-secondary school for physically impaired young people

Yes, in certain cases.

If you live in serviced housing or group housing, you often receive service that corresponds to the assistance you would otherwise receive disability allowance for. But, you may need assistance not covered by the service in the housing. The housing may also have associated costs that are considered additional expenses when calculating disability allowance.

Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies in your case.

You are insured in Sweden if you work here. There are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country
  • work as part of a flight crew
  • are a contracted employee within the EU
  • have been granted an exemption to be covered by Swedish social insurance