Car allowance for an adult
Car allowance is money you can receive if you have a permanent disability and have major difficulties getting around on your own or using public transportation. The car allowance must be used to buy or adapt a car to suit your needs.
Am I eligible for car allowance?
By answering a few questions about your situation in the guide for persons with disabilities, you can easily see if you are eligible for car allowance.
To be eligible for car allowance, you must:
- be insured in Sweden. You are insured in Sweden if you live here. There are some exceptions to this rule.
- You must have a disability that causes you to have major difficulties in moving about or using public transportation, such as a bus, train or the metro.
- The difficulties related to the disability must persist at least 9 years.
To receive car allowance, you must be part of a grant group. This means that one of the following must apply to you:
- You are younger than age 65 and are dependent on the car for support through a job, attending occupational rehabilitation with activity grant or rehabilitation allowance, or attending vocational training. The work, rehabilitation, or training must be expected to continue at least six months.
- You are younger than age 65 and previously received car allowance in accordance with the point above. You then received sickness compensation or activity compensation.
- You will drive the vehicle yourself and are between 18 and 49 years old.
- You have a child under the age of 18 who lives at home and you need the vehicle to be able to move about with the child. You will be driving the vehicle yourself.
How much do I get?
If you are granted car allowance, you can receive a purchase grant that can consist of a basic grant of maximum:
- SEK 30,000 for a car
- SEK 12,000 for a motorcycle
- SEK 3,000 for a moped.
If you earn less than SEK 220,000 per year, you may also be eligible for car purchase grant. The grant ranges from SEK 4,000 to SEK 40,000. If you are married or have a live-in partner, we also include your spouse’s/partner’s income in our calculations.
You can receive an additional purchase grant for a vehicle in the form of supplementary grant. Special requirements may be set for the vehicle in order to receive supplementary grant.
- SEK 30,000 which is for the purchase of a vehicle that must be adapted due to your disability.
- SEK 40,000 which is for the purchase of a vehicle in which you can remain in your wheelchair during travel, can move from the wheelchair to a seat inside the car, or bring along a motorised wheelchair or similar assistive device.
- Grant for the purchase of a vehicle with special factory-installed devices that are necessary in relation to your disability. The grant varies depending on the device. See the table below.
Device – Grant amount, maximum
- Automatic gearbox – SEK 16,400
- Electric opening and closing of boot lid/tailgate – SEK 5,100
- Power driver’s seat, min. six-way adjustment – SEK 7,400
- Power driver’s seat, with expanded ergonomic properties – SEK 14,400
- Keyless system/start button – SEK 5,200
- Reversing camera – SEK 4,600
- Remote-controlled, fuel-driven passenger compartment heater – SEK 14,000
- Heated windscreen – SEK 3,900
Car adaptation grant
If you need to adapt a vehicle, you can apply for car adaptation grant for certain costs, for example to modify the vehicle. We will contact you after receiving your application. At that time, you will receive more information about what rules apply and what requirements may be set for the vehicle.
You can generally receive a grant in the amount for adaptation that is deemed necessary costs.
How do I apply?
1. Contact your doctor.
You need a doctor's statement that describes
- your difficulties moving about and/or travelling using public transportation
- the scope of your difficulties and how long they will last
- if you will be driving the vehicle yourself, the doctor’s statement must state that you satisfy the medical requirements to hold a driving licence.
Försäkringskassan recommends that your doctor fill in this form
2. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)
Apply for car allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).
You must not buy the vehicle until you receive a decision on car allowance.
3. Send in the application documents
Send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.
4. An administrator will contact you
An administrator will contact you within a week of receiving your application.
We will inform you and help you determine what allowances you may be eligible for.
The money allocated for car allowance sometimes runs out before the end of the year
Each year, the Riksdag allocates a specific amount of money to be used to pay out car adaptation grant. Sometimes the allocated money runs out before the year's end. If the money runs out, it means you will have to wait for your disbursement until we receive new car allowance funds.
Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre
Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.