Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Assistance compensation for an adult

Attendance allowance is money you can receive to hire personal assistants if you have a disability.

Am I eligible for attendance allowance?

You are eligible for personal assistance if you

  • are covered by the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS)
  • have a major and lasting disability and need assistance more than 20 hours a week to meet basic needs, such as washing yourself, putting on clothes, bringing food to your mouth, going to the toilet or communicating with others. You can also receive attendance allowance for help with other personal needs.
  • are not yet 65 years old when you apply
  • are insured in Sweden. You are if you live or work here. There are some exceptions to this rule.

If you need assistance to meet basic needs up to 20 hours per week, you can apply for personal assistance through your municipality. The municipality can also grant personal assistance for other personal needs, as well as other forms of support, such as attendant service or relief service. It is when your need of assistance to meet basic needs exceeds 20 hours per week that Försäkringskassan can grant attendance allowance.

If Försäkringskassan assesses that you need assistance with basic needs more than 20 hours per week, you can also receive attendance allowance for other personal needs.

To be eligible for personal assistance, you must be covered by the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS). You are covered if you belong to one of the following groups according to the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS).

  1. individuals with mental impairments, autism or autism-like conditions
  2. individuals with significant and lasting intellectual disability after brain damage at an adult age caused by external violence or physical disease.
  3. individuals with other permanent physical mental disability that is obviously not due to normal ageing, if such disability is major and causes significant difficulties in daily life and the person thereby has a significant need for support and service.

How much can I receive in attendance allowance?

The allowance is SEK 304,30 per assistance hour. It is possible to apply for higher allowance if you can show that your costs are higher. The maximum compensation is SEK 340,81 per hour.

How do I apply?

If you need assistance with basic needs more than 20 hours per week, then you apply through Försäkringskassan. If you need assistance with basic needs up to 20 hours per week, you apply for personal assistance through your municipality. Here, we describe how it works to apply to Försäkringskassan.

1. Ask for a doctor's statement

Contact a doctor to get a statement describing your disability and how it affects you.

2. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

Log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply. Since we contact you after receiving your application, it is OK if your application is brief or if something is missing.

3. Send in the doctor's statement

Send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.

4. The administrator will contact you and schedule a meeting

Your personal administrator will contact you within a week and schedule a personal meeting. At the meeting we will discuss what type of assistance you need and how much. The meeting can either be in your home or at Försäkringskassan's office. You can bring other people to the meeting for support, such as a family member.

5. You receive a decision

You will receive a decision within 5 months of us receiving your application.

If you already have personal assistance and incurred a cost for this before you received your decision on attendance allowance, you must report the assistance to Försäkringskassan during the time we are processing your application.

Report the assistance by submitting

  • documents proving that your personal assistants have been hired
  • an agreement between you and a provider
  • time reports
  • invoices

We must receive the report no later than the 5th of the month after you began receiving assistance to be able to pay out allowance.


”Personlig assistans gör att jag kan arbeta”

En olycka förändrade allt. Efter månader på sjukhus fanns visserligen det gamla jobbet kvar men arbetsuppgifterna och arbetsmiljön var svåra att anpassa till de nya förutsättningarna.

Läs Marikas berättelse

6. Choose how your assistance will be arranged

If you have not already done so, choose how the assistance will be arranged. You can purchase personal assistance services from an assistance provider, employ your assistants yourself, or combine these alternatives. You must also decide whether you want the money to be paid to you or directly to a provider. Inform us of your choice by using My pages (Mina sidor).

Municipalities wishing to carry out activities as an assistance provider need to report to the Inspectorate for Health and Care (IVO) while private providers must have permission from the National Board of Health and Welfare or the Inspectorate for Health and Care (IVO). Försäkringskassan cannot recommend any particular provider. The Health and Social Care Inspectorate (IVO) has a register of all licensed assistance providers.

If you choose to receive the compensation yourself and purchase assistance services from a provider, you need to check that the company has a corporate tax certificate. Assistance companies must have a corporate tax certificate. This is not required of cooperative or economic associations, but there is more administrative work involved for the individual receiving assistance if the organisation does not have a corporate tax certificate.

If you choose to be your own provider and hire your assistants, it gives you a large number of options, but also requires a great deal of time for administration work.


If you have selected an assistance provider, send the agreement between you and the provider to us.


If you choose to arrange the assistance yourself, there are a few things that you need to know about how to proceed before the assistance starts, such as that you should report the activity to IVO, the Inspectorate for Health and Care and be registered as an employer with the Swedish Tax Agency. We have gathered information on a separate page about what you need to do and what you need to consider when you report to Försäkringskassan.

Information if you hire assistants yourself


7. Send in the invoice and time report

Once a month, you must submit an invoice for assistance compensation.

You cannot use the service on My pages (Mina sidor) until you have received a decision from us.

If you are unable to use My pages (Mina sidor), you can report the information by using the form

3057 Räkning för utförd assistans

3057 Hjälp att fylla i blanketten, på svenska

We must receive the information no later than the 5th of the second month after the invoice applies.



You must send in an invoice and time report once a month.


You can submit your invoice on My pages (Mina sidor).

You cannot use the service on My pages (Mina sidor) until you have received a decision from us.

If you cannot use My pages (Mina sidor), you can use the form instead.

3057 Invoice for attendance allowancePDF opens in a new window

3057 Help to complete the formPDF opens in a new window

Time reporting

Unfortunately, it is not possible to submit the time report via My pages (Mina sidor) yet. Fill in and submit the form instead.

3059 Time report for attendance allowance 3059 Help to complete the form

Försäkringskassan must receive the forms no later than the 5th of the second month following the month to which the invoice relates.

8. Disbursement

The allowance can be paid out two ways, either in advance or retrospectively. Retroactive payments are the most common, it is only if you hire all of your assistants yourself that you can receive the compensation in advance.

Retroactive assistance compensation is paid out around the 5th or the 20th of each month. The allowance is paid once all of the documents have been received and processed.

Assistance compensation in advance is paid once a month. Around the 20th of each month, you will receive a preliminary disbursement for the number of hours of assistance compensation you are approved for.

Whether you or someone else is the payment recipient, you will receive a copy of the payment statement every time we pay the compensation. The copy is only for informational purposes and you do not need to do anything.

When will the disbursement appear on My pages (Mina sidor)?

On My pages (Mina sidor), you can see the disbursement under Disbursements (Utbetalningar) 6 bank days before the money arrives.

Special disbursement dates see

9. Always report changes

Call your case administrator if you:

  • move to another residence
  • need more or less assistance
  • receive some other form of support, e.g. from the municipality or the county
  • move to an assisted living facility
  • are being cared for at a hospital
  • are receiving assistive devices.
  • travel abroad and this affects how your assistants work.

Please also let us know if a licensed healthcare professional determines that you need some form of medical intervention. Some changes may affect the right to assistance compensation and if you have received money that you have not been entitled to, you may have to pay it back. Report the change to Försäkringskassan as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you learned about the change.

Assistive devices are provided by the municipality or region (county council). You can read more about assistive devices at

1177's website.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Frequently asked questions

The decision on attendance allowance applies until further notice. Unless something changes, you do not need to apply again.

If anything about your situation changes, Försäkringskassan may need to review your right to attendance allowance. Let Försäkringskassan know if anything has changed.

No, Försäkringskassan cannot recommend a particular provider. If you want to know more about the various alternatives (in Swedish), you can visit the following websites:

Funka Portalen ( opens in a new window

Assistkoll ( opens in a new window

Intressegruppen för assistansberättigade ( opens in a new window

No. If you need help with assistance, contact your municipality instead. They can help you with assistance in the form of e.g. home help services.

Yes. Inform your personal administrator that you need an interpreter at the meeting.

Yes, this is fine.

Nothing. You will continue to receive attendance allowance even after you turn 65. However, you cannot receive additional hours. If your assistance needs change and you require additional hours, you must contact your municipality. Contact Försäkringskassan if you need less assistance.

To receive a higher attendance allowance, you must be able to show that you have higher costs, e.g. because you need a lot of assistance during nights and weekends, or because the assistants need special training.

You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here. There are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country
  • work as part of a flight crew
  • are a contracted employee within the EU
  • have been granted an exemption to be covered by Swedish social insurance   

Beginning October 2018, individuals entitled to attendance allowance receive a copy of the payment notice. Each time Försäkringskassan pays attendance allowance, the assistance provider is sent a payment notice.

The copy is only for informational purposes and you do not have to do anything. The attendance allowance is paid to the payment recipient we have registered.