Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Assistive devices

If you have a disability or illness that causes you to need special assistive devices to be able to work, Försäkringskassan can pay an allowance to you or your employer. The allowance is called allowance for assistive devices. You can also receive an allowance to conduct an expert assessment to find out what assistive devices you need.

Can I or my employer receive assistive devices?

By answering a few questions about your situation in the guide for persons with disabilities, you can easily see if you are eligible for assistive devices.

Guide – för dig med funktions­nedsättning

You or your employer can receive the allowance for assistive devices if you:

  • Have an illness or disability that causes you to need assistive devices.
  • Have worked for the employer for more than 12 months. If you are self-employed, you can receive assistive devices if the company has existed or has been established for more than 12 months. If you have worked for a shorter amount of time, you can still receive assistive devices but you must contact the Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) for help.
  • Are not yet 67 years old.
  • Are insured in Sweden. You are insured in Sweden if you work here. There are some exceptions to this rule.

How much allowance can I receive for assistive devices?

You can normally receive a maximum of SEK 50,000 in allowance. But, you may be granted a higher amount if special circumstances exist.

If your employer is the one applying, they can receive allowance for half the cost up to a maximum of SEK 50,000. But, your employer may be granted a higher amount if special circumstances exist. Regardless of the cost, the employer must always pay SEK 10,000 of the cost of the assistive devices themselves.

What type of assistive devices can I receive allowance for?

Assistive devices that are tailored to your particular illness or disability and that you need to be able to perform your work tasks. Examples of such are assistive listening devices needed to supplement your hearing aid, or assistive vision devices such as a Braille display or video magnifier.

You cannot receive allowance for assistive devices you also need outside of work. An example of this is hearing aids. If you need such aids, contact your healthcare staff.

Furthermore, you cannot receive allowance for e.g. height adjustable desks or similar ergonomic devices. The employer must pay for such devices. The employer is responsible for creating a good working environment. Thus, you cannot receive allowance for equipment that is normally required or that is needed to ensure a proper working environment.

How do I apply?

1. Get a doctor’s statement

You need a statement from your doctor indicating what type of disability or illness you have.

2. Obtain a quote from the assistive device supplier

Contact an assistive device supplier. The supplier must provide a quote indicating the types of assistive devices you need and how much they cost. Bear in mind that you cannot order assistive devices or an assessment until after you have submitted an application to us.

3. Apply

Apply on My pages (Mina sidor).

4. Send the doctor’s statement and the quote to Försäkringskassan

If you and occupational health services have performed a workplace assessment of your workplace, you can send that in as well.

Send your documents to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.

5. We call you

About 14 days after you submitted the application, we will call you to discuss your work tasks and your need of assistive devices. If you are unable to discuss it at that time, you can schedule another time with the administrator. We will also let you know how long it could take for you to receive your decision.

6. You receive a decision

It normally takes 30-60 days from the date you submitted the application to the time point you receive a decision from us.  The decision letter will indicate how much allowance you will receive for the assistive device.

7. Buy the assistive device

Once you have sent in the application, you can buy the assistive device. You can either pay for it yourself and receive the money from us afterwards, or you can indicate on the application that you want us to pay the supplier directly.

8. Send the invoice to Försäkringskassan.

Once you have received the invoice from the supplier, send a signed copy to Försäkringskassan and we will pay out the money within a few days.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Frequently asked questions

Yes, you apply the same way as you would apply for assistive devices.

Contact the Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen). They can help you with assistive devices, even if you do not currently have a job.

Yes, if you need to adjust or have a customised wheelchair to be able to perform your work.
No, not if you need a wheelchair both for work and after work. You need to speak to your healthcare staff, who will help you with your wheelchair needs.

You are insured in Sweden if you work here. There are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country
  • work as part of a flight crew
  • are a contracted employee within the EU
  • have been granted an exemption to be covered by Swedish social insurance

Yes, if you received allowance to obtain a personal workplace assistive device or a device at the workplace you also own it.

Your employer has a far-reaching responsibility for work adaptation and rehabilitation, and must adapt the working conditions to your particular conditions and needs. Examples include not only adapting your work tasks and working hours, but also purchasing technical assistive devices.

Försäkringskassan can award a grant for adaptation of a workplace or an individual workplace assistive device if the measures are outside of the employer’s normal sphere of responsibility.

You should contact the Public Employment Service since they are responsible for grants for workplace assistive devices during the first 12 months of a new job. This applies even if you were not unemployed between your two jobs.

You should contact the Public Employment Service, since they can provide special support for the hearing and visually impaired. You do not have to be a job seeker to be entitled to support from the Public Employment Service. Talk to a placement officer at the Public Employment Service.

If you are employed by Samhall based on your disability, you must contact your closest manager. You cannot receive allowance for assistive devices from Försäkringskassan.

No, you cannot receive allowance for assistive devices you need in your daily life, like a hearing aid or an assistive device in the home. The healthcare system is responsible for this type of assistive device.

To receive an allowance for a workplace assistive device, you must have an increased need for assistive devices at work that does not exist in your daily life in general. The need for a workplace assistive device must be limited to the workplace and your work tasks.

No, you are the purchaser of your assistive device. Försäkringskassan does not negotiate or enter into any agreements with suppliers.

Yes, you can receive allowance for workplace assistive devices, but it can only be granted up to and including the month before you turn 67.

The workplace assistive device is normally the special software that enables you to use sign language in customer contacts. Your employer can adapt with a smartphone or tablet as these are considered normal equipment.

You can apply for visual assistive technology for your computer work. Since a computer is usually needed in your work, your employer can adapt with a suitable computer and monitor.

You can receive allowance for the customised assistive devices that are not normally required for your work.

For computer-based assistive devices, you can be granted allowance of over SEK 50,000.

Freelance musicians, actors and other types of performers are always difficult to assess. You must be able to show that you are established in the labour market and are not within the Public Employment Service’s sphere of responsibility. You should therefore contact the Public Employment Service first. 

It depends on the form your company takes and who you are apply for allowance for.

Limited company

If you apply for allowance for an employee, you must apply as an employer. If you are an employee in your limited company and want to apply for allowance, you must apply as an employee.

Sole proprietorship

Allowance for assistive devices can also be paid to a sole proprietor. You must be able to show that you are established in the labour market, are not in a start-up phase, and are not within the Public Employment Service’s sphere of responsibility. A sole proprietor is considered their own employer.

Yes, if the assistive device is not used as intended, you may be liable to repay the money.

The assistive device has a depreciation period of five years. This means that the amount to be paid back decreases for each year the assistive device is used. If you received your assistive device more than five years ago, you do not have to pay back the allowance.

No, but as a farmer you are eligible for some grants from the County Administrative Board.

Grants from Försäkringskassan can be awarded in relation to individual adaptations that are not a normal part of farming or that are needed to make your working environment satisfactory.

If you have had your assistive device at least five years, you can take it with you when you move abroad. If you have had your assistive device for less than five years, you can keep it if you still need it and you are still insured in Sweden. If you are not, you may be obliged to pay back money.

Related links

Important information about assistive hearing devices

Information for employers