If you are studying at an ordinary type of school, Försäkringskassan needs a medical document that indicates that you need to study longer due to your disability or illness.
Activity compensation for extended schooling
Activity compensation for extended schooling is money you can receive if you need more time to complete your schooling due to a disability.
Am I eligible for activity compensation for extended schooling?
By answering a few questions about your situation in the guide for persons with disabilities, you can easily see if you are eligible for activity compensation for extended schooling.
You are eligible for activity compensation if you:
- are between 19 and 29 years old. You can receive activity compensation beginning the July of the year you turn 19 years of age up to the month before you turn 30.
- need more time to complete compulsory school or upper-secondary school due to a disability or an illness.
- are insured in Sweden and were insured at the time you became sick. You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here. You may be entitled to activity compensation even if you live in another country if you have lived or worked in Sweden previously. Contact the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 if you live in another country and want to know what applies for you.
How much do I get?
If you have not yet started working or only worked a little, you receive the guarantee benefit. How much you can receive in guarantee benefit depends on your age and how long you have lived in Sweden.
If you are:
- at least 19 years old but not yet 21, you receive SEK 8,152 a month
- at least 21 years old but not yet 23, you receive SEK 8,342 a month
- at least 23 years old but not yet 25, you receive SEK 8,531 a month
- at least 25 years old but not yet 27, you receive SEK 8,721 a month
- at least 27 years old but not yet 29, you receive SEK 8,910 a month
- at least 29 years old but not yet 30, you receive SEK 9,100 a month
The amounts are before tax and apply if you have lived in Sweden your whole life.
How do I apply?
You apply most easily on My pages (Mina sidor).
2. Send in a certificate
Send in a medical document indicating that your extended schooling is due to your disability. You must also send in a certificate from the school indicating what you are studying, when your studies began, and when your studies are planned to be complete. Please also include
- your grades
- your individual study plan
Send everything to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.
3. We contact you
An administrator will contact you by phone after receiving your application. At that time, you will learn how long it could take for you to receive your decision.
The first disbursement will generally be paid out the same month that school starts. For example, if you start in August the first disbursement will usually be 18th or 19th August.
After the first disbursement, the money will be paid out:
- on the 18th of each month if you were born between the 1st and the 15th.
- on the 19th of each month if you were born between the 16th and the 31st.
Special disbursement dates
- If the disbursement date is a Saturday, you will be paid your sickness compensation on Friday.
- If the disbursement date is a Sunday, holiday or Midsummer Eve, you will paid your compensation the next weekday.
- If you live abroad, your sickness compensation will be sent from Sweden on the disbursement date.
5. Call us of anything changes
If you are receiving activity compensation, you must call us and let us know if you
- start working
- stop going to the school or switch schools
- receive a new or modified foreign pension, annuity, or the like
- move abroad.
You may be entitled to other forms of compensation
If you receive activity compensation, you may be entitled to housing supplement.
You will receive a benefits certificate
When you have been granted activity compensation, we will send you a benefits certificate together with the decision. With the benefits certificate, you can get discounts from certain companies. The companies themselves decide whether they will give a discount, so we have no knowledge as to which companies give discounts.
If you need a new benefits certificate, please call your personal administrator and request that we send one to you.