Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Sole proprietorship, partnership or limited partnership

Here, business owners can read about how compensation and sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI) are calculated when you apply for benefits such as parental benefit, sickness benefit or benefit for care of a sick child (VAB).

Your compensation is calculated based on your work income.

As a business owner, you are entitled to compensation just like a person who is employed. Your compensation is calculated based on your SGI. SGI, sickness benefit qualifying income, is an amount that Försäkringskassan calculates based on how much you earn per year. If you own a company, we base this on your work income from the company.

SGI guide

By answering a few brief questions about your situation, you can get personal information about SGI that applies specifically to you as a business owner. By taking the few seconds required to answer the questions, you will learn:

  • How you become entitled to an SGI.
  • How it is calculated from your income.
  • How your SGI affects the compensation you receive.
  • What applies if your company is new.
  • That it is important to protect your SGI if you stop working or begin working less.

Starta SGI-guiden

If you have questions

If you are a business owner and have questions about your own insurance cover, such as parental benefit, benefit for care of a sick child or sickness benefit, you can receive assistance from an administrator well versed in such issues.

Call the Customer Centre for partners at 0771-17 90 00 and say that you are self-employed so that the IVR system directs you to the right place.

Further information

If you are a parent or expectant parent, the same rules apply for you as a self-employed individual as for an employee. The only difference is how we calculate your sickness benefit qualifying income. The SGI guide can give you answers about what applies in relation to sickness benefit qualifying income if you have a company and are pregnant or about to go on parental leave.

Starta SGI-guiden

About parental benefit and temporary parental benefit (VAB)


If you have a disability, the same rules apply for you as a self-employed individual as for an employee. For example, you may be entitled to compensation for assistive devices and special high-risk protection.

About assistive devices and special high-risk protection


Bear in mind that if you work abroad it could affect whether you are insured in Sweden and eligible for compensation from Försäkringskassan. Information on who is insured in Sweden and what this means can be found here, along with what applies if you work abroad.

Insured in Sweden

Work in the EU/EEA or Switzerland

Work in multiple countries in the EU/EEA or Switzerland

Work outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland


Frequently asked questions

It will be calculated based on both your salary from your employment and your income from business activity.

The SGI guide contains information especially for you if you multiple forms of income.

Starta SGI-guiden

You decide yourself whether you need extra protection beyond that provided by Försäkringskassan. At, you can read about different types of supplementary insurance available to self-employed individuals.

Verksamt ( opens in a new window

Related links