Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Child carer’s additional cost allowance

Hur fungerar merkostnadsersättning för barn? (Teckenspråk)

17 minuter

Den här filmen vänder sig till dig som vill få information på teckenspråk om vad som gäller om du ska ansöka om merkostnadsersättning för barn.


If you have additional expenses related to your child’s disability, you may be eligible for additional cost allowance. Additional costs are costs that are incurred due to the child's disability and go beyond what is customary for children of the same age. The Swedish Social Insurance Agency determines what counts as additional costs.

Can I claim additional cost allowance?

You may be eligible for additional cost allowance if

  • your child has a disability that can be presumed to persist for at least six months
  • you have additional costs amounting to at least SEK 11,825 per year due to the child’s disability
  • you are the child's parent, person who receives a child with a view to adoption, or have custody of the child
  • you and your child are insured in Sweden. If you live here, you are covered by insurance. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

Additional costs are costs that you incur due to your child's disability, i.e. costs in addition to those that are customary for children of the same age without disabilities. Additional costs can be incurred on a one-time basis or recurring costs, such as consumables.

The Swedish Social Insurance Agency will determine what counts as additional costs due to the child’s disability.

An example: You cannot normally claim compensation for buying a bicycle for your child. However, if you need to adjust the bicycle for your child to be able to ride the bicycle despite their disability, you may be entitled to additional cost compensation. In this case, you will be reimbursed for the cost of adjusting the bicycle – you will not be reimbursed for the cost of the bicycle without adaptation.

It is not possible to list everything that may qualify as additional costs. However, it may include costs relating to

  • health, care and food
  • increased wear of clothing, shoes and furnishings or washing and cleaning
  • travel services, medical and treatment trips not reimbursed by the municipality or region
  • travel by own car if your child is unable to travel by public transport
  • rental or purchase of aids
  • help in daily life
  • leisure activities that are adapted so that your child can participate despite their disability.

You cannot claim additional cost compensation for things you can get for free from the municipality or region. This means, for example, that in case of patient transport with your child, you can only receive compensation up to the high-cost protection. Similarly, you cannot claim additional cost compensation for aids if there is an equivalent aid available to borrow for free from the municipality or region.

Therefore, you should contact the municipality or region before purchasing aids that the child needs due to their disability.

The cost is distributed over the entire period that you use the product

If an additional cost relates to a product that can be used for several years, the cost is spread over the entire period you use the product. Such products can, for example, be furniture or white goods, which are estimated to last for ten years. This means that if you need a washing machine because of your child's disability, and the washing machine costs SEK 6,000, you can expect an additional cost of SEK 600 per year for ten years.


Current processing time 

We have longer processing time than normal for care allowance for children with special needs and additional cost allowance, we apologize for you having to wait for the decision and we do everything we can to shorten the times. The average processing time is eight months.

You will not lose any money because of our processing times. If you are entitled to compensation, you will receive money in arrears when we make a decision.

How much money will I receive?

You can receive between SEK 1,183 and 2,759 per month for a child depending on the amount of additional costs. If your additional costs are less than SEK 11,825 per year, you will not be reimbursed.

These amounts are valid for 2020. You will not pay any tax on the allowance.

Additional costs per year and monthly compensation

Your additional costs are at least SEK 11,825 per year.
You may receive a maximum of SEK 1,183 per month.

Your additional costs are at least SEK 16,555 per year.
You may receive a maximum of SEK 1,557 per month.

Your additional costs are at least SEK 21,285 per year.
You may receive a maximum of SEK 1,971 per month.

Your additional costs are at least SEK 26,015 per year.
You may receive a maximum of SEK 2,365 per month.

Your additional costs are at least SEK 30,745 per year.
You may receive the maximum amount of SEK 2,759 per month.

Two parents may receive additional cost allowance

You and the child’s other parent can receive additional cost allowance for the same child. In such case, you share the allowance. The Swedish Social Insurance Agency calculates the total additional costs for the child and you can choose how the compensation is to be distributed among you. If you do not make a choice, you will receive half each. If you cannot agree, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency will split the allowance in quarters based on the additional costs that each of you incurs.

How do I apply?

1. Apply on My pages (Mina sidor)

Apply for additional cost allowance on My pages (Mina sidor). You use the same application to change how much of the allowance goes to you and how much of it goes to the other parent.

If there are two of you applying jointly, you each need to fill in an application via My pages (Mina sidor) and enter the other parent’s personal identity number in the “Other” (Övrigt) field. This way, our administrative officers can see that you have applied jointly.


2. Send in a medical statement

After completing your application, send in a medical statement describing your child’s disability. If you are applying via our e-service you can submit the medical certificate and other attachments digitally through My Pages as soon as we receive your application. You can see your case on My Pages within 24 hours of applying and you then click add attachments to your application.

If you are not applying via the e-service, send the medical certificate and other attachments to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

3. We will contact you

Once we have started processing your case, we will book an appointment with you where we jointly review the additional costs that are due to your child's disability. After the conversation, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency determines what additional costs are reasonable and can be approved. We will then add up the approved additional costs to see if you can receive additional cost reimbursement.

You can prepare for the call by writing down the additional costs you have incurred due to your child's disability, the reason for the costs and how you have calculated them.

If you indicated that you need an interpreter, the administrative officer will make sure one participates in the conversation.

4. You will receive a decision

Unfortunately, we currently have long processing times, an average of eight months. You will not miss out on any money because of our processing times. If you are entitled to compensation, you will receive the money in arrears once we have made a decision on your case.

If your additional costs are at least SEK 11,825 per year, you will receive a decision on a certain monthly amount. The decision can either be indefinite or apply for a limited amount of time.

5. Disbursement

Additional cost allowance is paid out on the 18th or 19th of every month.

For special disbursement dates, see

Disbursement dates and processing times

6. Notify us if anything changes

Call your administrator if your additional costs relating to your child change. Report the change as soon as possible, but no later than 14 days after you became aware of it. Otherwise, you may be required to pay back the money.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Vanliga frågor

Du kan få merkostnadsersättning från att ditt barn är nyfött om du har merkostnader till följd av ditt barns funktionsnedsättning.

Ja, du kan få merkostnadsersättning tre månader bakåt i tiden från den månad då vi får din ansökan, om du redan då uppfyllde förutsättningarna för rätt till ersättning.

Ja, barnet behöver inte ha en fastställd diagnos. Det räcker att du skickar in ett intyg från en läkare som beskriver barnets medicinska tillstånd.

Vi bedömer de sammanlagda merkostnaderna för barnen. Om du har flera barn med funktionsnedsättning så kan varje barn kan ge rätt till som mest den högsta nivån på ersättningen. Du kan också få merkostnadsersättning även om dina merkostnader för barnen var för sig inte är tillräckligt höga, men de sammanlagt är så stora att de ger rätt till ersättning.

I beslutsbrevet som du får när du beviljas merkostnadsersättning står det hur länge beslutet gäller. Du kan få merkostnadsersättning för en viss tid eller utan tidsbegränsning. Du kan bara få merkostnadsersättning så länge som du är underhållsskyldig för ditt barn.

Du som förälder är underhållsskyldig tills barnet fyller 18 år. Om barnet går i skolan är du underhållsskyldig så länge barnet går i grundskola, gymnasium eller motsvarande, men längst tills barnet fyller 21 år.

När du inte längre är underhållsskyldig för ditt barn kan du inte få merkostnadsersättning. Men om ditt vuxna barn har merkostnader på grund av en funktionsnedsättning kan han eller hon själv ansöka om merkostnadsersättning.

Merkostnadsersättning för vuxna

Nej, du kan få merkostnadsersättning även om du kan likställas med barnets förälder, det kan du om något av följande stämmer in på dig:

  • Du är barnets särskilt förordnade vårdnadshavare och har vård om barnet.
  • Du är blivande adoptivförälder till barnet som inte är svensk medborgare och inte är bosatt i Sverige när du får barnet i din vård.

Nej, du behöver inte redovisa dina kostnader med kvitton. Har du underlag, till exempel kvitton, kan det vara ett sätt för dig att visa att du har kostnaden, när du betalar den och hur mycket du betalar. Finns det ett underlag kan det alltså underlätta utredningen både för dig och för Försäkringskassan vid din ansökan om merkostnadsersättning.

Ja, du får behålla merkostnadsersättningen om ditt barn vårdas på sjukhus eller en annan institution om vården kan beräknas pågå under högst sex månader.

Nej, om den andre föräldern har vårdbidrag kan du inte beviljas merkostnadsersättning för samma barn samtidigt som vårdbidraget betalas ut.

Nej. Omvårdnadsbidrag och merkostnadsersättning är två fristående ersättningar och de är inte beroende av varandra. Det görs ingen sammanvägd bedömning av ditt barns behov av omvårdnad och dina merkostnader kopplade till barnets funktionsnedsättning.
Om du har ansökt om båda ersättningarna så utreder vi om du har rätt till ersättningarna och du får två separata beslut.

Ja, ett beslut om merkostnadsersättning ska följas upp regelbundet, minst vart fjärde år om det inte finns skäl för uppföljning med längre mellanrum eller när förhållanden som påverkar rätten till ersättningen ändras.

Exempel på ändrade förhållanden är om en eller flera av dina merkostnader har upphört eller om ditt barns hälsotillstånd har blivit bättre.

Om du har tekniska problem

Om din e-legitimation inte fungerar eller om du har andra tekniska problem kan du få hjälp på sidorna för teknisk support. Där finns möjlighet att få hjälp av en handläggare direkt i ett webbmöte. Du kopplas då ihop med handläggaren som ser din skärm och kan hjälpa dig. Webbmöten är tillgängliga samma tider som kundcenter har öppet.

Teknisk support

Om du har skyddad identitet

Om du eller ditt barn har skyddad identitet kan du tyvärr inte använda alla e-tjänster som finns på Mina sidor.

För dig om lever med skyddad identitet eller har barn med skyddad identitet

Om du behöver ansöka på en pappersblankett

Alla blanketter som finns tillgängliga för nedladdning på webbplatsen hittar du på sidan Blanketter och intyg.

Blanketter och intyg

Ja. Du kan beviljas merkostnadsersättning även om ditt barn har assistansersättning men merkostnaderna kan inte vara kostnader som ersätts genom assistansersättningen.

Related links