Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Contact days

Contact days are for parents of children covered by the Act regarding Support and Service for Persons with Certain Functional Impairments (LSS). The days are intended to be used by the parents to gain knowledge about how to support their child. You can receive compensation for a maximum of 10 contact days per child and year.

Can I receive compensation for contact days?

You can receive compensation for contact days if you

  • have a child up to the age of 16 who is covered by LSS
  • have a sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI)
  • refrain from working or cannot receive unemployment benefit
  • are insured in Sweden.

When can I receive compensation for contact days?

You can utilise contact days when you must

  • participate in parent education (e.g. courses arranged by a disability organisation)
  • visit the child's preschool or school
  • participate in an activity arranged by the school.

The child does not have to participate (e.g. in a school visit or courses) in order for you to receive compensation.

Both parents can receive compensation for the same child and time.

How much money will I get?

You receive the same compensation as when you are caring for a sick child (temporary parental benefit). It is slightly less than 80 per cent of your regular income. In the “Kassakollen” function, you can quickly and easily see how much money you can receive.


How do I apply for compensation for contact days?

You apply the same as when caring for a sick child. You then simply tick to indicate that you are applying for compensation for contact days.

1. Apply

Once you are back at work or begin to seek work again, you must apply for compensation.

3. Disbursement

If you apply no later than the 10th, the money will be paid out on the 25th of the same month.
If you apply after the 10th, your money will be paid out on the 25th of the next month.

If we need more information from you, this may affect the disbursement date. We will contact you if this is the case.

  • If the disbursement date is a Saturday, your money will be paid out on Friday.  
  • If the disbursement date is a Sunday, your money will be paid out on Monday.
  • Disbursement normally scheduled for 25 December will be paid out on 21 December 2018.

Frequently asked questions

No. It is not possible to save days from one year and use them another year.

Yes. You can receive money for a full day or for three-fourths, half, one-fourth or one-eighth of a day.

Divide the number of hours you have refrained from working by the number of hours you would have worked. Refer to the table to see how much temporary parental benefit you can request:

0 % –12.4% = 0

12.5% – 24% = ⅛

25% – 49% = ¼

50% – 74% = ½

75% – 99% = ¾

100% = full day

Example: Carl should have worked 6 hours, but was at a course on rehabilitation for 4 hours. 4/6 = 0.66. So Carl was gone 66 per cent of his working hours. Carl can apply for compensation for contact days for a half day.

Yes. Contact days can also be used by

  • an individual who lives with one of the parents
  • family home parents (previously called foster parents)
  • an individual or couple who take in a child with the intention of adopting him or her
  • another individual who has legal custody of the child

You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here.

However, there are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country

No, it is not possible to transfer days from one child to another.