Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Car allowance for children

Car allowance is a grant for persons with a child who has severe difficulties moving about due to a disability or taking public transportation, like a bus or train, with you. Car allowance is intended to help you purchase or adapt a vehicle to meet the child's needs.

Am I eligible for car allowance?

You are eligible for car allowance if

  1. you have a child with a disability that makes it very difficult for the child to move about or to take public transportation with you
  2. the difficulties related to the child’s disability must persist at least 9 years
  3. you need a vehicle to be able to move about with the child
  4. you are the individual who will drive the vehicle
  5. you and the child live together
  6. you are insured in Sweden.

How much do I get?

If you are granted car allowance, you can receive a purchase grant that can consist of a basic grant of maximum:

  • SEK 30,000 for a car
  • SEK 12,000 for a motorcycle
  • SEK 3,000 for a moped.

If you earn less than SEK 220,000 per year, you may also be eligible for car purchase grant. The grant ranges from SEK 4,000 to SEK 40,000. If you are married or have a live-in partner, we also include your spouse’s/partner’s income in our calculations.

You can receive an additional purchase grant for a vehicle in the form of supplementary grant. Special requirements may be set for the vehicle in order to receive supplementary grant.

  • SEK 30 000 which is for the purchase of a vehicle that must be adapted due to your child’s disability.
  • SEK 40 000 which is for the purchase of a vehicle in which your child can remain in your wheelchair during travel, can move from the wheelchair to a seat inside the car, or bring along a motorised wheelchair or similar assistive device.
  • Grant is for the purchase of a vehicle with special factory-installed devices that are necessary in relation to your child’s disability. The grant varies depending on the device. See the table below.

The following are the maximum amounts you can receive in grant for different devices

  • Automatic gearbox – SEK 16,400
  • Electric opening and closing of boot lid/tailgate – SEK 5,100
  • Power driver’s seat, min. six-way adjustment – SEK 7,400
  • Power driver’s seat, with expanded ergonomic properties – SEK 14,400
  • Keyless system/start button – SEK 5,200
  • Reversing camera – SEK 4,600
  • Remote-controlled, fuel-driven passenger compartment heater – SEK 14,000
  • Heated windscreen – SEK 3,900

Car adaptation grant

If you need to adapt a vehicle for your child, you can apply for car adaptation grant for certain costs, for example to modify the vehicle. We will contact you after receiving your application. At that time, you will receive more information about what rules apply and what requirements may be set for the vehicle.

You can generally receive a grant in the amount that the adaptation that is deemed necessary costs.

How do I apply for car allowance?

1. Contact your doctor. 

You need a doctor's statement that describes

  • your child’s difficulties moving about and/or travelling using public transportation
  • how long and in what scope the child's difficulties are expected to last

We recommend that your doctor fill in this form

3222 Läkarutlåtande för bilstöd

2. Apply

Apply for car allowance on My pages (Mina sidor).

3. Attach a digital copy of the doctor’s statement

Once you have signed your application, attach a digital copy of your doctor’s statement. You can take a clear photo of it and then attach the picture on My pages (Mina sidor). It is also possible to attach a scanned copy.

If you cannot make a digital copy, send in your doctor's statement to Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral 839 88 Östersund.

4. An administrative officer will contact you

An administrative officer will confirm receipt of your application within two weeks. You must not buy the vehicle until you receive a decision on car allowance.

The money allocated for car allowance could run out during the course of the year

Each year, the Riksdag establishes an upper limit on the money to be used to pay out car adaptation grant. Sometimes it happens that the money runs out before the year's end. If the money runs out, it means you will have to wait for your disbursement until we receive new car allowance funds.

 Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre

Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.

Till enkäten öppnas i nytt fönster

Frequently asked questions

No, you must receive the decision before you can buy a vehicle. Similarly, you cannot receive car allowance for a car or someone in your family owns or previously owned. But, you can apply for allowance to adapt a car you already own. 

Examples of such difficulties are that the child is in a wheelchair, you need to have bulky assistive devices with you, or the child has a serious condition with breathing difficulties, sensitivity to infection, allergies or the like. Difficulties linked to neuropsychiatric diagnoses may also entitle a person to car allowance.

Yes, you can receive car adaptation grant if we determine that the car is suitable for adaptation to your child's needs, but the car's age and condition may affect our decision.

Yes. There is no age limit for you as the parent or for your child. In other words, you can receive car allowance for an adult child. To be eligible, you must live together and you must need a vehicle to be able to move about together. 

Yes. You can apply for several adaptation allowances for the same vehicle.

Yes, but only if you have several children with disability that have a great need to be driven to different places at the same time. For example, the children may go to school at different places. 

Parents who do not live together can apply for car allowance for two cars for the same child.

No. You can only receive car allowance to purchase a vehicle or adapt a vehicle that you own.

Yes. If you are the one receiving the car allowance, then you must be the registered owner of the vehicle.

Because you are the one conducting the transaction. Försäkringskassan and the car seller have no connection with one another. This even applies if you choose for us to pay the money directly to the car seller.

Since it is your money, it is important that you make the decisions about it – i.e. when, for what and to whom the money is to be paid.

Every nine years.

You can receive car allowance earlier if you can prove the vehicle travelled at least 180,000 kilometres since you purchased it. You can also receive car allowance earlier if you need a new vehicle for medical reasons or for reasons of traffic safety.

Yes, you can apply for compensation for repair costs. You apply on My pages (Mina sidor).

If you are unable to use My pages (Mina sidor), you can apply using the form.

5067 Application for grant to repair adaptation – car allowance (102 kB)PDF opens in a new window

Ask the company for an order confirmation or a statement and send this to Försäkringskassan.

The purchase agreement must contain 

  • your name and personal identity number
  • name and corporate identity number (or personal identity number) of the car seller or adaptation company
  • the vehicle's registration number or vehicle identification number
  • price
  • the vehicle's model year
  • odometer reading
  • a specification of what the agreement is for – it must clearly indicate that you are buying the vehicle and from whom
  • dated signature of you and the car seller

The invoice must contain

  • name and corporate identity number (or personal identity number) of the car seller or adaptation company
  • the vehicle's registration number
  • specification of what the invoice is for, the cost of labour, and the cost of materials
  • amount to pay
  • written approval by you

Every nine years.

You can receive car allowance earlier if you can prove the vehicle travelled at least 180,000 kilometres since you purchased it. You can also receive car allowance earlier if you need a new vehicle for medical reasons or for reasons of traffic safety.

If the traffic safety inspector says the vehicle requires more adaptation or adjustment, you must apply for car allowance again.

You are insured in Sweden if you live or work here.

However, there are some exceptions to this rule. You can work in another country and still be insured in Sweden. There are also situations in which you can work in Sweden but be insured in another country. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to learn what applies if you:

  • work as a sailor
  • are assigned to work in another country by a Swedish employer or are assigned to work in Sweden by a foreign employer
  • are a diplomat
  • work in two or more countries
  • are a civil servant of an administration that belongs to Sweden but work in another country

If your vehicle has been adapted, it may change its value. Bear in mind that you should talk to your insurance company to ensure that the adaptation is also covered. If the adaptation is not insured, you may not receive any compensation for it if something happens to the vehicle.

No. You cannot receive car allowance for running costs, such as insurance, servicing and fuel. Visit the Swedish Consumer Agency's website for information on what it costs to own a vehicle.

Swedish Consumer Agency opens in a new window

If you sell the vehicle or dispose of it in some other way before nine years have passed since you received the decision on car allowance, you must report this to Försäkringskassan as soon as possible, but within no more than 14 days. This also applies if you trade in the vehicle. We will then investigate whether you need to pay back a portion of the car allowance.

If you have been granted car allowance because your child has a disability and the child him/herself is then granted car allowance within nine years, you may also need to pay back a portion of the car allowance.

Yes, this is permitted in certain cases – provided that you are insured in Sweden. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to find out what applies in your situation.