Here, you can learn what to do if you get sick during your parental leave.
Can I receive sickness benefit if I get sick?
If you get sick, you may be entitled to sickness benefit during the time you should have received parental benefit. We then put your parental benefit on hold during the time you are sick and cannot care for the child.
You may be entitled to sickness benefit if:
- you are sick and your ability to care for the child is reduced by at least 25 percent
- you have a defined sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI).
SGI is an amount that Försäkringskassan calculates based on how much you earn per year. Your SGI is used to determine whether you are entitled to compensation and how much money you can receive you get sick.
By answering a few brief questions about your situation, you can get information about SGI that applies specifically to you as a person on parental leave. By taking the few seconds required to answer the questions, you will learn:
- How you become entitled to an SGI.
- How it is calculated from your income.
- How your SGI affects the compensation you receive.
- That it is important to protect your SGI if you stop working or begin working less.
What should I do if I get sick?
1. Report your sickness
Report your sickness the very first day you are sick.
Gör en sjukanmälan
2. Change your application for parental benefit
Log in to My pages (My pages) and remove the days for which you applied for parental benefit, starting from the day you reported your sickness.
Ansök om, ändra och planera föräldrapenning (inloggning)
3. Apply for sickness benefit
After reporting your sickness, log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply for sickness benefit.
Ansök om sjukpenning (inloggning)
If you did not request a form when you reported your sickness, call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to have a form sent to your home. You cannot download the form here on the web since it contains some pre-filled information.Minimise
4. Send in doctor's certificate
If you are sick for more than 7 days, you must send in a doctor's certificate with information about your illness or injury. In most counties, electronic certificates can be issued. You can also attach your certificate to you application when you apply for sickness benefit via My pages (Mina sidor). This speeds up the process and you then do not have to send the certificate by post.
In exceptional cases, you can ask your doctor to submit the certificate directly to us electronically.
If you have received a paper copy of your doctor's certificate, send the original to Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.
The first sickness benefit disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work. If your application is complete, this takes no more than 30 days.
After the first disbursement, sickness benefit is paid on a specific date each month. Which date applies for you depends on when you were born:
- If you were born between the 1st and the 10th: the 25th of each month
- If you were born between the 11th and the 20th: the 26th of each month
- If you were born between the 21st and the 31st: the 27th of each month
Special disbursement dates
- If the disbursement date is a Saturday, your money will be paid out on Friday.
- If the disbursement date is a Sunday, your money will be paid out on Monday.
- Disbursement normally scheduled for 25, 26 and 27 December will be paid out on 21 December 2018.
If you want to change any aspect of your sick leave
If your sick leave shall continue in the same scope, you can extend your sick leave by sending in a new doctor's certificate. Electronic doctor's certificates can be submitted via My pages (Mina sidor). If you belong to Stockholm County Council or live on Gotland, you may not be able to receive an electronic certificate.
You must have approved that all doctor's certificates in the same sickness period shall apply as an application for sickness benefit. If you have not done this, you must fill in a new application. Contact your administrative officer or contact the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to approve all doctor's certificates in the sickness period applying as an application for sickness benefit.
Skicka in läkarintyg (inloggning)
What should I do once I'm healthy again?
1. Report your recovery
Gör friskanmälan (inloggning)
If you cannot use My pages (Mina sidor), call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to report your recovery.
2. Submit a new application for parental benefit.
Once you have reported your recovery, you must submit a new application for parental benefit.