Remember that...
You have an old web browser. This means that you may not be able to use all functions on the website. We recommend that you upgrade your browser to a new version.
10 days at birth of child Actions

10 days at birth of child

Teckenspråk 10-dagar vid barns födelse Actions
Text Speglad När barnet är fött- Vänta barn Actions

The non-pregnant parent can receive compensation for 10 days of leave in connection with the birth of the child. These days shall provide the opportunity to be at the delivery, get to know the child and take care of other children in the family. The compensation you get is called temporary parental benefits.

Can I receive compensation for the 10 days?

Yes, if

  • you are the child's parent
  • you refrain from working or collecting unemployment benefits during the 10 days
  • you take out the days before 60 days have passed since returning home after the child's birth.

You can also receive compensation for 10 days if the pregnant parent is single and you are a closely related person.

How much money will I get?

With the “Kassakollen” function, you can quickly and easily see approximately how much you can receive for your 10 days. You receive approximately 80 per cent of your salary.


How do you apply for compensation for the 10 days?

To receive compensation for the 10 days, you must first register that you intend to take leave and then apply for the money after the leave.

1. Register – before you take leave

You do not need to know what dates you will be on leave when you register.  You must register no earlier than two months before the leave, and no later than the same day for which you want compensation. Did you forget to register in time? That's OK. Register using the current date instead.

If you are a first-time parent, you register using service that does not require login. You will then be able to use My pages (Mina sidor) to apply for parental benefit and the like.

Register the 10 days (In Swedish)


If this is not your first child, log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to submit your registration. This applies regardless of whether you are having a child with the same partner you have other children with or not.

If you are not the parent of the child, you must call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to register. At that time, a connection between you and the child will be registered we will send you a form to use to apply for compensation.

2. Apply – once you have taken the leave

Once you have begun working or seeking work again, log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply for money for the days you have been on leave.

3. Disbursement

The money is paid out on the 25th if you applied no later than the 15th.
If you apply after the 15th, your money will be paid out on the 25th of the next month.

  • If the disbursement date is a Saturday, your money will be paid out on Friday.
  • If the disbursement date is a Sunday, your money will be paid out on Monday.

If we need more information from you, it can take more time. We will contact you if so.

  • Disbursement normally scheduled for 25 May will be paid out on 26 May 2017.
  • Disbursement normally scheduled for 25 June will be paid out on 26 June 2017.
  • At Christmas, disbursement is on 22 December 2017 (if the application is received by 15 December).
Frequently asked questions Actions

Frequently asked questions

Yes, you always get compensation for 10 days per child. Upon the birth of twins, you get 20 days, 30 days for the birth of triplets, and so on.

Yes, if you should have worked or receive unemployment benefits for Saturday and Sunday, you can also receive compensation for Saturdays and Sundays.

Yes, this is fine. You can take out compensation for 25, 50 or 75 per cent of your regular working hours. So you can take out 20 half days instead of 10 whole days. You can also take out 1/8 days, which corresponds to 12.5% of the normal working hours.

Yes. Register by:

  • Texting TIODAGAR, your personal ID number, and the child’s personal ID number to 71020 Example: TIODAGAR 790102xxxx 120304xxxx
    If the child does not have a personal ID number, send your personal ID number and the child's date of birth to 71020. Example: TIODAGAR 790102xxxx 120304
  • Phone the self-service line at 020-524 524
  • Register using the My pages (Mina sidor) app

With every way to register, except by text message, you can choose if you want to apply by form or on My pages (Mina sidor) in the next step.

No. To apply for the 10 days, both guardians must have a Swedish personal ID number. If you do not have one, you can apply using the form instead. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to request a form. The form cannot be downloaded from the website.

It is generally the parent who was not pregnant who has the right to the ten days. But, if the person who was pregnant does not have a partner, Försäkringskassan can grant the ten days to another person instead. The parent of an older child in the family (who is not the parent of the newborn child) can also use the days to care for the older child, if the parties agree to this. In order to be eligible to receive compensation for these days, you must stay home from work.

relaterade_lankar_speglad vänta barn barnet fött-10 dagar Actions

Related links

If you are adopting

How does parental leave affect my pension?

Testimonial Jämställt uttag Actions
banner_bild_speglad_foralder_facebook_foralder Actions
banner_bild_10_dagar Actions