Maintenance support when the child lives with you
Maintenance support is money that you can apply for when the other parent who is supposed to pay child support does not pay.
Am I eligible for maintenance support?
Yes, you can receive maintenance support if you and the other parent cannot agree on maintenance support or if the other parent cannot pay. This applies if
- the child is younger than 18 years old
- the child is registered at your address
- you and the child live in Sweden
- you have custody of the child
- you and the other parent are not living together
- the other parent does not pay any child support at all, pays less than the amount set for maintenance support or does not pay on time.
Young people over the age of 18 can receive extended maintenance support up to June of the year that they turn 20. To be entitled to maintenance support,the child must
- attend school full time at the compulsory school level, upper-secondary level or the equivalent
- receive financial aid or extended child allowance
- live and be registered with one of the parents or somebody else who was the guardian when the child turned 18
- not be or have been married.
How much money will I get?
If the other parent does not pay any child support, you receive SEK 1,573 per month up until the month the child turns 11, and SEK 1,723 until the month the child turns 15 and SEK 2,073 after this.
If the other parent pays a lower amount as child support, you will receive a gap amount from Försäkringskassan so that you receive a total of
If your child is 5 years old and are receiving SEK 500 per month from the other parent, you will receive
If your child has income exceeding SEK 60,000, you will receive less maintenance support.
What do I need to do to receive maintenance support?
You apply for maintenance support on My pages (Mina sidor).
2. You receive a decision
If your application is complete, you will receive a decision within no more than 6 weeks. If the other parent lives abroad, it takes no more than 17 weeks.
Once the decision has been made, you will receive the first disbursement within 10 days. After that, the maintenance support is paid out on the 25th of every month.
The money is paid in advance for the upcoming month.
- If the disbursement date is a Saturday or Sunday, your money will be paid out on Friday.
- Disbursement normally scheduled for 25 December will be paid out on 21 December 2018.
- Other public holidays are treated like a Sunday.
4. The other parent must pay to Försäkringskassan
If you receive maintenance support, the other parent must pay back all or part of the maintenance support to Försäkringskassan.
5. Contact us if your situation changes
Notify us if anything changes that may affect your maintenance support, for example if the other parent begins paying support directly to you, or pays more in support than before. Call the Customer Centre at 0771-524 524 to report the change.
When the other parent has paid in to Försäkringskassan on time for 6 months
If the other parent has made on-time payments to Försäkringskassan for at least six consecutive months, you will both receive a letter indicating that we will no longer pay out maintenance support. This is because there is no reason for Försäkringskassan to serve as an intermediary for payments. The other parent can instead pay child support directly to you.
You must work together to decide on an amount for child support. With the “Calculate child support” (Beräkna underhållsbidrag) tool, you will get a suggested amount for child support and an agreement template. You can use the calculation and agreement template to create a valid agreement on child support.
What do we do if we cannot reach an agreement?
If you cannot reach an agreement on child support yourself, you can ask Försäkringskassan for help. Book a personal web meeting with an administrator for help calculating child support and writing an agreement.
The municipality also offers free cooperation discussions to help resolve issues related to custody, access (visitation), residence and support of the child. There, you receive help in finding common solutions for the child's best interest without having to go to court. Contact your municipality.
If you have had cooperation discussions and Försäkringskassan has helped you calculate child support but you still cannot agree on issues relating to the child, you can take the matter to the district court. Contact a legal representative to find out what you should do.
Hjälp oss göra vår webbplats bättre
Svara på enkäten och berätta vad du tycker om webbplatsen.