Keep in mind...
You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Pay back housing allowance

The page provides information about what applies if you received a letter about your final housing allowance for 2018. The letter indicates how much you are obliged to pay back.

Why do I have to pay back money?

When you applied for housing allowance, you entered your expected income for 2018 on the form. That was the income we based your housing allowance on. We have now received your final tax statement, which indicated your actual income for 2018. Since your income was higher than you anticipated when you applied, you must pay back part or all of the housing allowance.

What should I do now?

If the information about your income is correct, you do not have to do anything. You will receive a statement and a giro in-payment form in March. Once you have received the giro in-payment form, you can pay back the money. The letter that accompanies the in-payment form will indicate the deadline for repayment. For most individuals, the deadline is 30 April 2020.

What do I do if the information is incorrect?

If you think the income information from the Swedish Tax Agency is incorrect, you must contact them. If they change the information, we will be informed and modify your housing allowance decision.

If you think the information from the Central Student Grants Committee (CSN) is incorrect, you must contact them to obtain documentation showing the correct information. You then send the documentation to Försäkringskassan.

Can I set up a repayment plan?

If you cannot pay back the full amount at once, you can apply to create a repayment plan. The application can be made after you receive your decision about your final housing allowance. The decision will be sent out in March. You apply using My pages (Mina sidor) at, or by calling our Customer Centre at 0771-524 524.

In special circumstances and exceptional cases, Försäkringskassan may decide that you do not have to pay back the surplus of housing allowance that has been paid out.

The following requirements must be met for this to apply in your circumstances:

  • You must have reported the increase in income that occurred during the year in which the allowance was paid, or there must be a justifiable reason for the report not being made. 
  • You will lack the ability to pay the amount for a long time going forward.
  • You did not provide any incorrect information in your application.

The letter you received will indicate a deadline for contacting us and how to reach us.


Frequently asked questions

Yes, of course. In the “Kassakollen” function, you can see if you are entitled to housing allowance and how much money you can receive. 

“Kassakollen” function

Remember to get in touch with us if your income or housing costs have changed since you submitted your application. We can then adjust your disbursements.

If the information about your assets is incorrect, you must send documentation to Försäkringskassan showing how much you had in assets as of 31 December 2018.

Write your personal identity number and “Reconciliation housing allowance” on the documentation and send it to: Försäkringskassans inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.


If you paid back student aid after 2014, we need documentation from the Central Student Grants Committee (CSN) that shows this. Student aid refers to the grant portion, not the loan.