Webbinnehållsvisning (JSR 286)


Activity compensation


Activity compensation is a compensation for those who are young and will probably not be able to work full time for at least one year due to illness, injury or disability. Young people who have to extend their schooling due to a disability can receive activity compensation during the time that the schooling lasts.

Who can receive activity compensation?


A young person may be entitled to activity compensation

  • if their work capacity is diminished by at least one quarter for at least one year in all jobs on the entire labour market. All jobs on the labour market includes jobs that are arranged for persons with disabilities, such as employment with salary grants.
  • if he or she needs to extend their schooling due to a disability. 

At the earliest, activity compensation may be received in July of the year they turn 19 and, at the latest, through the month that they turn 30. At most, activity compensation is granted for three years at a time.

Försäkringskassan can replace sickness benefit with activity compensation on its own initiative, but one can also apply for activity compensation. Applications are made in writing using the form FK 5007 or FK5008.

Activity compensation when a person has extended schooling

Those who need to extend their schooling due to a disability can receive activity compensation during the time that the schooling lasts, even if this is shorter than one year. The studies, which should be on at a compulsory and upper secondary school level, can be pursued in ordinary or special types of schools. Försäkringskassan may in some cases require a certificate from the school or a doctor's certificate showing that your extended schooling is due to the disability. The activity compensation for extended schooling is always provided as a full benefit.

Activity compensation can be dormant

Those that are granted activity compensation can work or study and still maintain their right to activity compensation without having it paid out, so-called dormant compensation. The compensation can be dormant for up to 24 months. Those that have their compensation in a dormant state due to work receive, over a period of 12 months, an amount corresponding to 25 per cent of the dormant activity compensation. 

You must apply before you start working or studying. Applications for dormant activity compensation must be in writing. Form FK 5042 is to be used by those who want to try to work and form FK 5043 is to be used by those who want to try to study. 

Those who have dormant activity compensation and are stopping working or studying must submit a written request to regain the compensation using form 3002.

It is important to report changes and apply
Those who have activity compensation are to provide notification of changed circumstances before he or she

  • begins working or studying
  • increases working hours
  • continues to work after a period with dormant compensation.

Those who experience an improvement in work capacity must also notify Försäkringskassan of this. Form FK 7284 can be used to submit a notification.

Activity plan


Those who have been granted activity compensation can have an activity plan drawn up, but this is voluntary. The idea with ​​the activities is for them to stimulate the person's development and impact the illness or disability in a positive way. The activities should also help to increase the opportunities for improving the person's work capacity.

Activities in which a person with activity compensation can participate

  • certain courses
  • association activities
  • sports activities
  • medical rehabilitation
  • activities where the person learns more about their illness or disability
  • practice.

Försäkringskassan's responsibilities include offering those who are granted activity compensation the opportunity to participate in activities. Försäkringskassan draws up a plan and co-ordinates the activities together with those who have been granted activity compensation. Those who have an activity plan can apply for compensation, using form 5030, for costs they have incurred in connection with the activities.

Plan for returning to work - rehabilitation plan


During the period in which a person has been granted activity compensation, Försäkringskassan usually establishes a plan for returning to work together with the recipient of the compensation. Both a plan for returning to work and an activity plan can be established in the same case. In the plan for returning to work, the Public Employment Service can be an actor that makes it possible for the person to regain their work capacity. An employer who has an employee receiving activity compensation must plan for the person to be able to return to the workplace when the compensation runs out.

Those that receive activity compensation and have a rehabilitation plan can apply to Försäkringskassan for a special allowance, using form FK 6645, for costs incurred in connection with occupational rehabilitation.

What happens with the sickness benefit qualifying income?


Those no longer receiving activity compensation can regain the sickness benefit qualifying income that he or she had prior to the decision to grant activity compensation. But this only applies to those that were receiving activity compensation on 31 December 2009. In order to be able to keep the sickness benefit qualifying income, it must be protected. This may, for example, mean that the person must register at the Public Employment Service on the day the activity compensation is discontinued.

Housing supplement

Those receiving activity compensation may also be eligible for housing supplement.