Webbinnehållsvisning (JSR 286)


Housing allowance

Who can receive housing allowance?

Families with children and young people between the age of 18-28 can receive housing allowance if they have low incomes. Those applying for housing allowance must, in most cases, live and be registered in the Population Register in Sweden in order to be entitled to the allowance. As a rule, the applicant must also be registered in the Population Register as living in the home for which they are applying for housing allowance.

It happens that municipalities lease accommodation to tenants where the rental agreements only run for one week at a time. Such a rental agreement entitles the person to housing allowance.

Which families qualify as families with children?

If an adult lives together with their child, all the time or sometimes, they are counted as a family with children. The child can be counted as a part of the household until he or she turns 18, or is over 18 years of age and receives study allowance or extended child allowance.

Preliminary and final allowance

Housing allowance is a preliminary allowance. This means that we calculate the allowance based on the income that those seeking housing allowance believe they will have during the calendar year. However, the housing allowance is determined retrospectively, when the income taxation is completed for the year for which the applicant has received allowance. 

If it turns out that a person has had a lower income than they estimated, the person can receive allowance retrospectively in the form of a supplemental disbursal. On the other hand, those with a higher income than they estimated may be obliged to repay money.

How does a person apply for housing allowance?

Application forms for housing allowance are found here on the website. Forms can also be ordered via 020-524 524. If you need help with an application, please contact Försäkringskassan.