Försäkringskassan's logo
Log in
Keep in mind...

You are using an older version of your web browser. This means that you might not be able to use all of the functions of the website. We recommend that you update to a newer version.

Sickness benefit for individuals with a sole proprietorship

Sickness benefit is money you can receive if you are unable to work due to illness.

Temporary rules due to the corona virus

Some rules for compensations from Försäkringskassan have been temporarily amended due to the coronavirus. Therefore, please update yourself on the rules on this page:

Coronavirus - this applies

Am I eligible for sickness benefit?

You are eligible for sickness benefit if you:

  • are unable to work during your regular working hours due to illness. You must be away at least one-fourth of your regular working hours to be able to receive sickness benefit.
  • lose work-related income that is sickness benefit qualifying income.
  • are insured in Sweden.

How is my sickness benefit calculated?

Has your company been in business for more than 36 months? If so, your estimated business income determines how much you receive in sickness benefit. We calculate your estimated business income using your business tax forms from the last 3 years.

Has your company been in business for less than 36 months? Then, you might not have earned much estimated income as yet. For this reason, for the first 36 months you receive an amount equal to the sickness benefit an employee with the same work tasks, training and experience would receive.

How many qualifying days do I have?

Qualifying days are the days at the beginning of a sickness absence when you do not receive compensation. If you are self-employed, you can choose the number of qualifying days you want. If you do not make a choice, you are automatically assigned 7 qualifying days.

How do I apply?

1. Report your sickness

Report your sickness the very first day you are sick.

Report your sickness (in Swedish) {"url":"/privatpers/tjanster/anmalsjp","login":false,"text":"Report your sickness (in Swedish)"}

2. Apply for compensation for the qualifying period

After reporting your sickness, log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to apply for sickness benefit.

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/tjanster/ersattningforkarens","login":true,"text":"Apply for compensation for the qualifying period (in Swedish)"}

3. Apply for sickness benefit

{"url":"/privatpers/login#?goto=/wps/myportal/privatpers/tjanster/ansoksjp","login":true,"text":"Apply for sickness benefit (in Swedish)"}

4. Send in doctor's certificate

If you are sick for more than 7 days, you must send in a doctor's certificate with information about your illness or injury. In most counties, electronic certificates can be issued. You can then send in your certificate on Mina intyg on 1177 Vårdguiden.

Mina intyg, 1177 Vårdguiden (minaintyg.se)external link, opens in new window

If you have received your doctor's certificate on paper and for some reason it has not been sent electronically to us, send the original to Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

5. Send in your business tax forms (NE or N3 forms)

If your company has been in business for more than 24 months, you must send in copies of your business tax forms from the last 3 years. If you only filed income taxes twice, send in the business tax forms that you have.

If your company has been in business less than 24 months, you do not need to send in any business tax forms.

6. Disbursement

The first sickness benefit disbursement is not paid on a fixed date. It is instead paid once we have completed the processing work. Normally it takes 30 days for us to process your application. It could take longer if we require more information.

After the first disbursement, sickness benefit is paid on a specific date each month. Which date applies for you depends on when you were born:

  • If you were born between the 1st and the 10th: the 25th of each month
  • If you were born between the 11th and the 20th: the 26th of each month
  • If you were born between the 21st and the 31st: the 27th of each month

You can see all of your disbursements on My pages (Mina sidor).

Special disbursement dates

Special disbursement dates and processing times

If you want to change any aspect of your sick leave


Send in your new doctor’s certificate. You can do this digitally on Mina intyg on 1177 Vårdguiden.

Mina intyg, 1177 Vårdguiden (minaintyg.se)external link, opens in new window

If you answered yes when asked whether a new doctor’s certificate should serve to extend the sick leave when you applied for sickness benefit, then you do not need to do anything else.

If you answered no, an application form for extended sickness benefit will be sent to your home. You cannot apply for extended sickness benefit via Mina sidor (My pages).


If you begin working part time or in any other way change the scope of your sickness absence, you must notify us of this. This is done most easily via My pages (Mina sidor).



If you want to end your sickness benefit before the end of your registered sick leave period, you can do this on My pages (Mina sidor).


If you cannot use My pages (Mina sidor), call the Customer Centre or contact your personal administrative officer.

What happens if I am sick for a longer period of time?

If you are sick for a long time, you will be assigned a personal administrator. They help you with everything related to your sickness benefit, such as planning for how to return to work.

If you need support to return to work, your employer should help you. For example, you might need shorter workdays or different job tasks, either temporarily or on a permanent basis.

If you need more support, you can receive rehabilitation at your workplace. For example, you may need to train on working on certain job tasks to regain your work capacity. During that time, you can get rehabilitation allowance. The amount is the same as sickness benefit.

Related links

Last updated: