Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)


If you temporarily spend time abroad

When you temporarily stay in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you are entitled to necessary care on the same financial conditions as the residents of that country. To receive this, you need a European Health Insurance Card.

In countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland, you are not entitled to care, with a few exceptions. To receive compensation for medical care costs in these countries, you need a private travel insurance.

Beställ EU-kort inför en utlandsresa

Beställ kortet i god tid. Leveranstiden kan vara upp till tio arbetsdagar. Även barn ska ha ett eget EU-kort.

The European health insurance card is valid in:

Belgium, Bulgaria, Cypress, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the UK and Northern Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria.

It can take up to 10 days to receive the European Health Insurance Card from when you order it.
We cannot hasten the dispatch of the card. If you do not have time to receive the card before you travel, you still have the protection that the card provides. If you need to seek care when you are abroad, you can do so in two ways:

  • Pay full price for the care and save all receipts. Then you can request compensation from Försäkringskassan afterwards.
  • Call us at +46 771 524 524, and we can fax all information about your European Health Insurance Card to the hospital or hotel you are staying at. You must then pay the same care cost as the country's own residents.

Pensioners who travel to Spain

If you are a pensioner and will travel to Spain, you need a special pensioner's certificate as a supplement to the European Health Insurance Card. The certificate shows that you have a pension in Sweden and means that you can buy medicine at a reduced price in connection with necessary care. Order the certificate from Försäkringskassan.

Travel abroad with sick pay or sickness benefits

If you are reported as sick and want to travel abroad, you must request to be able to keep your sickness benefits during the stay abroad. This is because Försäkringskassan must assess if your stay abroad affects your sickness or your rehabilitation. It is important that you do so well in advance of your travels.

Begäran om medgivande vid utlandsvistelse

Fyll i blanketten direkt och skicka in den elektroniskt (kräver inloggning)


7430 Request for consent to keep compensation upon stay abroad (PDF 178 kB, opens in a new window)