Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)


Working abroad

Here, you can read about what happens if you get sick when you travel, work or live abroad.

Beställ EU-kort inför en utlandsresa

Beställ kortet i god tid. Leveranstiden kan vara upp till tio arbetsdagar. Även barn ska ha ett eget EU-kort.

The European health insurance card is valid in:

Belgium, Bulgaria, Cypress, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the UK and Northern Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria.

If you do not have time to receive the card before you travel, you still have the protection that the card provides. If you need to seek care when you are abroad, you can do so in two ways:

  • Pay full price for the care and save all receipts. Then you can request compensation from Försäkringskassan afterwards.
  • Call us at +46 771 524 524, and we can fax all information about your European Health Insurance Card to the hospital or hotel you are staying at. You must then pay the same care cost as the country's own residents.

App on the European Health Insurance Card

Information on how the European Health Insurance Card works is now available in the App Store and Google Play. You can download the app "European Health Insurance Card" and get advice on how one uses the card in the 28 EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. There is general information on the card, emergency numbers, what treatments/costs are included and who you should contact if you have lost your card. This information is available in 24 languages. The European Health Insurance Card is free.

Travel, live or work abroad

Here is brief information on what benefits you may be entitled to from social insurance if you are insured in Sweden and travel or move abroad.

You can read about what rules apply when you work in the EU and parts of the rest of the world.

In-depth information

European Health Insurance Card (PDF 98 kB, opens in a new window)

Sickness when living abroad (PDF 118 kB, opens in a new window)

Family benefits within the EU. These rules also apply to EEA countries and Switzerland (PDF 122 kB, opens in a new window)



We have a brochure that provides overall information on what applies when one lives or works abroad. You can download it here:

4015 If you live or work abroad (PDF 6,618 kB, opens in a new window)