Försäkringskassan uses cookies to enhance and personalise your visit to our website. By clicking the "I accept buttons", you agree to the use of cookies. To use "Mina sidor" and some other features, you need to accept cookies. Read more about cookies

I accept

Assistance compensation

What is personal assistance?

Personal assistance means a personally structured support that is given in various situations by a limited number of people.

Personal assistance for the basic needs means help in washing and clothing oneself, eating food, communicating outwards, or other help that requires in-depth knowledge of your disability.

Who can receive an assistance compensation?

If you need help more than 20 hours a week with the basic needs such as washing and clothing oneself, eating food and communicating outwards, you can get assistance compensation. You must also belong to one of the following groups:

  • People with mental impairments, autism or autism-like conditions.
  • People with significant and lasting intelligence disabilities after a brain damage at an adult age caused by external violence or physical disease.
  • People with other lasting physical or mental disabilities, that are clearly not due to normal ageing.


The disability must be major and cause significant difficulties in your daily life.

There is no lower age limit for getting assistance compensation.

How large is the compensation?

The government decides on standard amounts for assistance compensation. In 2013, the amount is SEK 275 per hour. If you have special reasons, you can apply for a higher amount. The highest amount for 2013 is SEK 308.

Special reason may, for example, be that you need an assistant with special education who requires more pay than the standard amount covers.

How do I apply?

You apply for assistance compensation with the Försäkringskassan. You do not need to use any special form. It is good if you send medical documentation with the application.

If you want to use forms to apply for assistance compensation, they are further down on the page.  You can also order forms at 020-524 524. Contact Försäkringskassan if you need help with your application.

The municipality can also report to Försäkringskassan that you need assistance compensation. Then you do not need to submit an application, rather Försäkringskassan contacts you to consult with you on what help you need.

More information on the application and decision regarding assistance compensation

Fördjupad information:

Assistance compensation (PDF 90 kB, opens in a new window)

If you want to know more about permission to conduct activities with personal assistance, you can read more on the Health and Social Care Inspectorate website.

Health and Social Care Inspectorate website (opens in a new window)

If you are an employer or assistance provider and want to know more about work environment or tax rules, you can read more on the websites of the Swedish Tax Agency and Swedish Work Environment Authority.

Swedish Work Environment Authority website (opens in a new window)
Swedish Tax Agency website (opens in a new window)