Försäkringskassan uses cookies to enhance and personalise your visit to our website. By clicking the "I accept buttons", you agree to the use of cookies. To use "Mina sidor" and some other features, you need to accept cookies. Read more about cookies

I accept

If you have received too much in compensation

Obliged to pay back?

If you have received too much compensation from us, you may be obliged to pay back the incorrectly paid out amount. You may be obliged to make repayment regardless of whether it is Försäkringskassan or you yourself who caused the incorrect disbursement.

When we discover that compensation has been incorrectly paid out, we investigate whether you are obliged to pay back the money.

If you must repay the money, you receive a reclaim decision from Försäkringskassan. The decision states the latest date by which you shall pay back the money. If you have not paid back the money by the due date at the latest, you must pay interest on arrears. You do not pay interest on arrears if the reclaim concerns dental care.

Do you want to divide up the payment?

If you need to divide up the repayment of a debt, you can send in the form "Request for repayment plan" to Försäkringskassan.

You can find the form at the bottom of this page.

Försäkringskassan will make a decision on your request once a decision on repayment has been made and will contact you by letter or phone after this. If you submit the form before the due date, you avoid paying an arrangement fee for the repayment plan.

As long as the repayment plan applies, you pay a lower interest than the interest on arrears you would otherwise have to pay. If you receive another compensation from Försäkringskassan, we may deduct money from that compensation and apply it to the debt. If you do not receive any compensation from Försäkringskassan, you instead pay by Försäkringskassan sending payment notices to you. You cannot pay via direct debit (autogiro).

What happens if you do not pay?

If you do not pay your debt by the due date at the latest or contact us and agree on a repayment plan, Försäkringskassan may decide on repayment of your debt through deductions from the disbursement of compensation that Försäkringskassan pays out to you.

If you have no compensation where deductions can be made as per decision, Försäkringskassan can apply for distraint with the Swedish Enforcement Authority to receive payment that way.

Have you received too much in housing allowance?

Several special rules apply for housing allowance. This is particularly true if you have the debt together with another person. There is therefore no page of its own with information on what applies when one has received too much housing allowance.

More information on repayment of housing allowance

Are you dissatisfied with the reclaim decision?

If you are dissatisfied with Försäkringskassan's decision, you can request that we reconsider the decision. Even if you want to request a reconsideration of the decision, you must pay the debt by the due date at the latest to avoid interest on arrears. Should the decision be changed after reconsideration, Försäkringskassan pays back the money you have paid in.

Write a letter where you indicate which decision it concerns, how you want the decision changed and why. Also write your name, personal ID number, address and phone number. If you engage counsel, an original authorisation shall also be sent in.

We must receive the letter no later than two months from the date you received the decision.

If you are also dissatisfied with the new decision, you can appeal to the administrative court. If you feel that the administrative court's decision is also incorrect, you can go further to the administrative court of appeal.