Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)


Back to work - rehabilitation

Early intervention

The longer an employee is away from working life, the more difficult it is to return. It is therefore important that rehabilitation begins as soon as possible.

To be able to conduct early efforts, you should keep in touch with the employee. You should also find out if it is possible for the employee to work part time, and if changes in the working environment or a change in duties could
help the employee.

Read more about "Early employer efforts during the sickness period" (PDF 89 kB, opens in a new window)

Employer responsibilities

The employer is responsible for work adjustment and rehabilitation as long as an employment relationship exists. This is regulated in labour law legislation in the Employment Protection Act, the Work Environment Act and in the Social Insurance Code. As an employer, you are responsible for conducting the adaptation and rehabilitation that may take place within or in connection with your own operations. The rehabilitation responsibility comprises the entire business, not just a certain unit or business area.

The emphasis should be that the employee shall continue to work in the company. You can often find solutions that are good for the employee in cooperation with occupational health services.

Read more about occupational health services

Försäkringskassan's responsibilities

Försäkringskassan is responsible for coordinating the various measures a person is in need of to be able to get back to work. These may be medical, social or vocational measures.

You may therefore be contacted by us to jointly with the employee provide information that we need to assess the right to compensation and investigate the need for rehabilitation. Försäkringskassan can also convene a reconciliation meeting.

Read more about reconciliation meetings and planning for a return to work


As an employer, you can always contact Försäkringskassan if you have questions about an employee's return to work. Keep in mind that you need your employee's consent for us to discuss his or her case with you. Phone 0771-17 90 00.